Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fort Hood....

I am sure I am only echoing the thoughts of everyone else in the nation tonight, but my heart is absolutely sick over the news coming from Killeen, Texas tonight. My time in service to my country afforded me the opportunity to witness some really bizarre behavior from my peers and superiors. I saw one of my officers lose his mind and drop a box of ramblings in a foreign language at the main gate on Hickam AFB, HI. It was addressed to the Base Commander and we were shut down with the thought someone had left a bomb. I saw some of the younger soldiers and Marines, in particular, become so tired that they would just fall over from exhaustion while on duty. I went through multiple bomb threats and evacuations. I was even present and on duty for an actual bomb exploding in the office of the First Sergeant at the Security Police Force's orderly room on Lackland AFB, Texas. She survived, though she lost a hand, an eye, most of her fingers on the surviving hand, and had other injuries. She also managed to finish her career. The newly dishonorably discharged airman who managed to get the bomb on base and into her office was prosecuted to the fullest extent. A few months after that all of America witnessed the horrific acts of 9/11. That was the worst example of humanity, and the strongest example of "brotherhood" I have experienced to date. A Middle-Eastern restaurant had been completely vandalized and nearly destroyed by angry citizens. The woman who owned it still somehow managed to open for lunch, but only because of the support of military members who were off-duty on September 12th. And the entire lunch and dinner crowd made the news. It was all military. I worked with a devout Muslim. He was angry over the happenings, and he was fearful, too. The entire crew on our shift, plus some, surrounded him and made sure was safe.
I never did see anything like the soldiers at Fort Hood saw today, however. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining! I am simply heartsick and wishing there was more I could do. I know the chaos that arrises in the moments surrounding a disaster. I don't think I even want to imagine the fear and pain, even in these many hours after the fact. No, I was not in the Army. Many of my coworkers were, or still are. Fort Hood was less than 2-hours away from those of us who were stationed in Texas for a time. It's a huge part of the community as a whole, even hundreds or thousands of miles away. It's a small world, to say the least.
So tonight I sit here with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes. I have not worn a uniform in 4 very long years, but the ties that bind are strong. So, to quote my big brother, LtCol David K. Ahrens, USAF, "Stay strong, Fort Hood. This USAF Sister is standing with you......."

1 comment:

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Though I have not served our country in the same way as you- this really has hit me hard. I have had such a hard time understanding and my heart aches for the families.. I appreciate and Thank You for the services you performed for our country.