Tuesday, March 17, 2009

80 Degrees....

It's a lovely day! After I was finished with classes, Luke and I headed for a day outdoors. Who could miss a warm March day full of sun and, well....warmth! It's approached 80 degrees today, and there was just no way I was going to have us cooped up indoors. Nope, uh-uh....that would be a total waste! So we headed off to the Pueblo Zoo.

One great thing about wonderfully nice and warm days in the spring, especially during the week, is that there is almost nobody else enjoying the animals at the zoo. We basically had the place to ourselves! Very nice. All of the animals were seemed pleased to have company because they all came right up to the fences of their enclosures. Luke loved that! Though this is the first time he actually showed real fear of an animal.

The Pueblo Zoo has an alligator snapping turtle that's very, very old. I'm not sure the age, but guessing by the size of this guy, he's got to be at least 50. He's massive! Today was the first time I've ever seen him relate to people and not just sit at the bottom of his tank. He spotted us and swam right up to the glass. Poor Luke about burned a hole in the carpet backing up! I did manage to get him right back over to me and promptly fell over as he tried to crawl on top of my head. He thought that was funny, but wasn't so keen on the idea of putting his hand on the glass. Once he did, though, he realized the turtle wasn't going to hurt him and there was nothing to fear. I admit, I laughed. He peeled backward so quickly that one could have sworn he'd be stung by a bee!!

It wasn't too much longer and we had to come on home. It was getting late, and Luke was tired. Besides, it was time for me to get dinner started. He's conked out cold on the couch right now, but he'll be waking soon....even if he doesn't want to. What a great way to spend a beautiful day.....

1 comment:

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

So glad you had a beautiful day to spend with little Luke. Hope all is going good!