Thursday, March 26, 2009

Winter's Return...

We knew it was bound to happen for two reasons:

1) March is Colorado's snowiest month
2) It's Spring Break in Pueblo (colleges and grade schools alike).

Nobody is really complaining because we desperately need the moisture. Well, except for the winds...those are worth the complaint. 30 mph sustained with gusts over 60 are complaint worthy no matter the weather!

I promised Luke that we would take our walk this morning, but only as long as the snow hadn't begun falling, yet. We needed the walk, I've been a bit lazy the past couple of days and haven't ventured to the streets (though I did ride 2 lazy ponies yesterday), so I was glad he was begging. I started laughing when we woke up today, though. My comment: "Nice storm!" It was blue skies with a ton of sun. I did check to see what was going on and decided it was safe enough to take a good walk, grabbed the old bread, and loaded Luke into the jogging stroller to head up to the community pond to feed the geese. Trust me, our walks are not leisurely. I work up a sweat and get the heart going.

I underestimated the round-trip distance, but it was a great walk. We arrived to our destination and spent about a half-hour tossing the bread to some happy geese. We weren't the only ones with this idea, though. I was surprised at the amount of people at Cattail Crossing today! Especially since it was cloudy and cooling down quickly by the time we got there. Still, I love being in an area where people always seem to be out and about. When it was time to go I took a quick look around and started to worry that we wouldn't make it home in time. I hoped I was up for a run since it appeared to be a distinct possibility....the snow was within what I know is just over 20 miles away to the West and just over 15 miles to the North. Sounds like a lot, but we already knew this storm was moving in fast. With that in mind, I promptly put the weather shield up on the stroller and started home at a good walking clip. We made it home about 3 minutes before the snow started falling in Pueblo West. Wow! I cut that close!! But, 7 miles round-trip was great, and I still managed to work up a sweat (I blame the layers today, though).

We did need to make a quick run to Pueblo, so I changed pants and we headed out. We were gone about 45 minutes. It was nearly a white-out when we left there....still safe for careful driving since the roads were only wet and visibility was still about 1/8 mile, but fun to see. I guess you get a little goofy when you haven't had measurable precipitation for 3 months. Anyway, I snapped a couple of pictures with my phone. I took a couple of pictures once we got home, too, but didn't get any of the real white-out. We couldn't see the house next door!! But it was difficult to get pictures when the windows were really, really icy since the camera wanted to focus there.
(There are buildings in this picture, you can barely see the outline)
(closer to home...where'd the houses & Safeway go?)

We now hear that Highway 50 is closed between us and where the ponies live. Fun. The snow has picked back up and we expect a decent amount more before morning. A fun tidbit: one of our local news stations has a Facebook page. Dork that I am, I joined. My comment was read on air just a moment ago. Woohoo! Yes, yes, I am leaving my mark on Southern Colorado (you can all groan now).

I can't guarantee pictures. It's getting dark, it's really windy, and the camera doesn't focus so well in those conditions with snow, but I'll do my best. Have a fun spring weekend!

1 comment:

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Our yucky, snowy weather moved your way, it sounds like. Today is sunny and calm, so hopefully you will get that soon!