Monday, July 13, 2009

Then We Came Home....

The day after our Mount Vernon visit and early Mother's Day dinner was fairly quiet. It poured buckets all night, then again throughout the day. My parents were flying out on this day so we all just kind of had some family time before they left for the airport. I stayed back with the boys so my brother and sister-in-law could have a wee bit of quiet time on the way back from the airport. By now it was only a few days before David was to leave for Baghdad, and it was only fair for them.

It was a bit interesting because of the different ages and the different levels of patience the three boys all hold right now. One was fairly interesting in hitting the other two for no particular reason, one was interested in telling me when the first was hitting, and the last was just trying to figure out what he could do to stay out of trouble. It was actually kind of funny because they all would look at me like they were complete angels, but I could see the devil horns poking through. All-in-all, they were very good, though, and we had some fun.

It continued to pour through the night and I had hopes that I'd be able to make a quick stop to Stratford Hall (Robert E. Lee's birthplace) before I had to head to the airport the following day. It didn't happen. By the time the plantation opened I would only have had about an hour...and it was still pouring. Oh well, it's good to spend a little more time with my brother and his family, anyway.

Luke and I packed our brand new suitcase (that's a story! Had the original one shredded on the way TO Virginia. Airline replaced it) and prepared to leave. We managed a few pictures of the three boys together at the same time and did some laughing. Then it was time to head out. The drive to Dulles was uneventful, just wet. Luke slept most of the way. It was raining hard enough, though, that we were absolutely soaked through just from dropping the car and walking to the shuttle bus. That made it a bit cold for us, but we survived. We made it home fine and were happy to be home again, though it was a bit sad to leave such a wonderful place so full of American History behind.....

No comments: