Friday, July 31, 2009

Ouray '09...part 3

We'd finally come to the day I was greatly looking forward to: the return trip up to Yankee Boy Basin at the base of the gorgeous Mount Sneffels! This is where we took our family picture last summer, but we weren't able to venture very far into any hiking forays for two reasons. First, Luke was barely 2 and we didn't want to push him. Second, there was still so much snow that the meadows were still covered and the vehicles were still a good 2-feet shorter than the pack. Knowing that the area was pounded pretty well during the winter, but then experienced a dry and very warm spring (just the opposite of us on the East side of the state), we knew the snowpack would be all but gone.

We loaded into the 4Runner and ventured out after breakfast. I was like a little kid, yet also a wee bit snippy because of the one part of the drive that I knew was going to cause me anxiety. Something about any road that is barely big enough to allow 2 vehicles in opposite directions with one side nestled into (yes, INTO) the mountain while the other side is a vertical drop of hundreds of feet into a raging river doesn't do my heart much good. I decided to study the rock formations next to and in front of me while trying to remember to breathe without hyperventilating instead of completely freaking out. It mostly worked, but Jeff had to give me a little ribbing. I threatened him with the one thing that he really doesn't like and is afraid of, but he only laughed at me. The bugger...

Once past the cliffs, I was fine. I love this landscape and could not believe the range of colors we saw in the wildflowers! They were spectacular! The pictures just don't do justice. In fact, they're rather bland and you don't get any sort of an idea of what we were witnessing. My wonderful in-laws gave me a pocket spiral book for identifying Rocky Mountain wildflowers last year. I nearly have the thing memorized I've used it so much. In fact, it stays in my 4Runner for easy access and use! Anyway, the only flowers I did not see or recognize from that book were the ones that are primarily found on the dry plains near my own house. Everything was blooming, from the paintbrush, to the columbine, to the larkspur, to the chiming bells, to the monkshood....all the way down to the little pink elephant heads! I couldn't believe it! THIS is what was hiding under all of that snow last summer!

We did not encounter near the water on the road as we did last summer, but there was still some. That makes it more fun, and Luke enjoys it. He did eventually fall asleep, but we enjoyed the ghosts of the mines. It's amazing how some houses still stand while others crumble, and how the blocks and belts remain completely intact and appearing ready for work while the building of the stamp falls down around it. While I love to crawl all over these beings, I am smart about it and was shocked to see people walking around inside a house that could collapse and fall at any moment. They were inside and taking pictures!! Amazing! I admit, I did want to stop and do the same thing, but Murphy's not nearly as kind to me and the house probably would've fallen on my head.

There other people up in the area were sparse this day. Unlike last year when it was a Saturday, and despite this being the same weekend (again) as the annual FJ Cruiser weekend, it was almost strange to not see all that many people! Kind of nice, too. More for us to enjoy around us and less to have to worry about on the bumpy road. We finally managed the climb to the middle trailhead for Mount Sneffels, our photo spot, parked and hopped out. Luke was ready to go, go, go! That was fine with me, but it was also time for some snaps of the camera. We spotted a nice buck on the hill across from us and watched through camera lens and binoculars. I can honestly say I've never before seen a deer with fat rolls, but this guy did! It was hard to figure out how he was able to walk, he was so fat!! Then it was time to take a little hike.

Oh, how I wanted to just take off and do an impromptu climb of Sneffels! Not going to happen with a 3-year-old (nor would I attempt that, he'd have a tough time with the altitude AND wouldn't be able to handle the hike), but that's okay. We opted for the hike to Emory Lake tucked neatly into the valley at the upper trailhead. It's an easy hike on a narrow trail and only about a half-mile long. Easy for all of us. And lovely! The lake is a typical dead alpine lake, and sparkling blue from the snowmelt, somewhat akin to a glacial lake. And COLD! I'd say it was probably somewhere between 35 and 38 degrees. Luke was just happy to throw rocks, I took a moment to sit and enjoy the quiet beauty, then wandered up a bit to catch a glimpse of the lower lake at Twin Lakes. And I do mean a glimpse. We took a few pictures, checked out the survey/altitude marker placed in 1933 by the San Juan Mountaineers (at 12,191.4 feet) before readying to head back to our vehicle for a picnic lunch. But wait!

Just then a group of 4 teenaged boys made it to the lake after summitting Sneffels. Typical of 17'ish-year-old kids (and something I, myself, have done...would probably do again!), they stripped down to their skivvies and jumped into the startlingly cold water. We loved it! And they were well-mannered, so it was even better!

We ventured to our 4Runner, had our lunch, met a retired couple from my dad's hometown of Moline, Illinois (wowza!), and were able to grab this year's family shot at the same spot overlooking Yankee Boy Basin as last year. It's not as good of us, but I'm still quite pleased with it. Such a special place for our little family!

Jeff and I have pledged and vowed to each other to make the climb up what I affectionately refer to as my "love affair," but we'll have to have some serious advanced planning since it's a 5-hour drive....well, actually, about 7-hours to the trailhead.....and will definitely have to camp before & after our climb. In the meantime, we're already planning for next summer's trip out to the Uncompahgre Wilderness. This time, Luke and I will be able to experience the 4-wheel trails, we may do more primitive camping, and hopefully catch fish again!!

No comments: