Sunday, September 13, 2009

Race for the Cure....

What a great day! Luke and I headed out from home this morning at 6am to participate in the Race for the Cure in Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs. I was really anxious and excited for this race. Breast cancer has touched so many people, yet there are still tons of people who don't perform monthly exams. I had my own scare. Fortunately, my lump was benign and has since disappeared, but that's not the case for all women (and some men!). My dad's cousin, Carol, is one such example. I am happy to report she is now a survivor, and I was proud to run in celebration of her victory.
It was a cool, cloudy, damp, and somewhat foggy morning. Perfect running weather, actually. We caught a glimpse of a snow-covered Pikes Peak when we left the house, but it was very quickly shrouded in clouds for the remainder of the day. Kind of a bummer given the excellent views of the Peak from Garden of the Gods, but that wasn't the point.
I had the opportunity to join a local news station's team, and I took it. Turns out I was the only community member who was smart enough to figure out the "banner" we were to meet at was actually the live truck. Weird....but they were quite appreciative. We all headed to the start line together.
The first mile of the course was all uphill. It was probably 4-5% most of the way, something I've really never noticed the hundreds of times I've driven it! And it was tough...pushing a jogging stroller with an almost 40lb child in it up that was quite the workout! But the views were glorious. We rounded to where my favorite view of the park lies and I was awestruck by the rock formations touching into the fog. I had my camera, but I wasn't stopping to take a shot. I knew I could come back through with the 4Runner later. It was also at about this point that we were given the relief of a brief downhill. Finally! I was able to extend my stride and catch my breath!
The last 2 miles really were up and down (uphill and downhill), but it was such a great course. I'd have to say it ties as my favorite (H3 Freeway opening in Hawaii is the other course...and only ran once). I was also thrilled with my performance. Given that I just started kicking up my running a bit, that it was 7 months ago I had my embolism, that I sadly struggled in my 4th of July race, and that the first finisher ran the course in just over 19-minutes, I am thrilled with my 26:57 time. And the fact I felt I could've gone another mile or two was icing on the cake. I'm regaining my endurance and speed, if even if it's at a slower rate than I'd like.
About 5-minutes after our run
Bundled up against the rather cold wind!
My "number" and celebration tag (thanks, Luke, for holding it for the picture!)
Not quite as foggy, but who cares? It's just such a gorgeous view!
Our parting shot driving home...

Luke had a ball. He loved the course, he loved all the free food (he's a boy, what can I say??), he danced and danced to the music when we were done, he clapped, he cheered, he sang. And he told me "we need to come again, Momma." He meant to run or bike the park, not just our usual style of visit. Good boy! I was too busy having fun with him to get pictures, we just had such a great time!
For all the fighters, survivors, and in memory of those who lost their battle, I am so happy to have been able to do a small pittance for you and your families. I am grateful for the VERY fun news and weather staff of KRDO for opening this opportunity, and I am happy to have had my eyes opened...even if it was incredibly scary. Ladies, please do your monthly checks, and never be afraid to ask for help. I will continue to run this relaxed and slightly emotional race, but I hope that someday there will be no need.....

3 comments:

tristanjh said...

I have 5 friends who have had this disease. 4 have survived, 1 will not. I have been meaning to do this race in Salt Lake for the last couple of years and haven't. I will definitely do it next year. Happily, ours is all on even ground. Great job!

Corbie said...

We have a tradtion of doing this race every year (my boys too!) and the Salt Lake one is always near Mother's Day which adds an emotional component. Adorable pics - glad you enjoyed the race.

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

This is always a great cause to race for.. I love the picture of you and Luke- so cute. Cancer sucks, that's the only nice way I can put it.. It looks like you had a great time. I know this is an emotional race and something close to your heart, your amazing.