Saturday, October 24, 2009

Prayers For My Second Dad...

Roger is someone I consider to be my second dad. He was such a vital part of my life growing up, to the point I don't actually remember him even missing a horse show, except the ones up North (the exception being if my dad was TDY and couldn't be there, then Rog was in the stands cheering me on and taking video). He was right there with us when dad battled cancer, he was standing next to us when dad retired from the 419th, and he was a near constant at my parent's side when mom nearly died from her 8-day-old ruptured appendix. He also knew that a stuffed cat would help mom since she was missing her fur babies at home, so he gave her a special one to keep her company those 2 weeks in Alta View Hospital. That's just a couple of simple and extremely miniscule examples of this wonderful man, but I'm pretty shaken up right now and having a tough time getting this out.

It has been just within the last couple of months that Roger received the diagnosis of lung cancer. He had surgery to remove half of the affected lung on the 15th of this month. It was a routine surgery that went well, giving Rog a positive prognosis. While he has remained in the ICU because of being kept intubated, sedated, and the close guarding of his vital signs that have struggled to stabilize, he was slowly improving. As of yesterday afternoon, he had been removed from the paralytic drugs, was starting to fight the tube and work to breath on his own, and things were looking up.

Unfortunately, things have turned this morning. Roger also has battled Paget's disease and has a heart valve with calcium build-up. This morning that valve has decided to fail. There are many human hands working on him, but his condition has turned from Critical to Grave. He is not expected to make it. Hence the reason I am completely shaken; something I am sure pales in comparison to what dear Jennie, Chris, Tom, and the grandkids are feeling (my second mom, and their two sons).

Roger is young. Younger than my parents (sorry, mom & dad, for pointing that out), a big and jovial man that knows no malice toward others. He has an incredible laugh that lights up the entire city, and give bear hugs that are second to none. He calls kids "Gugenheimer," and that makes Luke laugh. He's one of the few people that Luke has immediately taken a liking to. He is a Vietnam Combat Veteran, having received 2 Bronze Stars and at least one Purple Heart (I am failing to remember exactly right now) for his service while fighting with his brothers in Big Red 1. He is a Godly man who has dedicated himself to his Lord and raised his boys to be the same. It's more than difficult to see and hear him going through this.

So, please, PLEASE keep not only Roger, but Jennie, Tom, Chris, the 4 grandkids, and other members of the family in prayer through this difficult time. I'll let you all know when I make the trek to Utah, but for now the Lyons family just needs all the prayer and spiritual hands they can get to hold them. I, for one, would greatly appreciate it....

4 comments:

tristanjh said...

Definitely in my prayers...keep us posted.

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

You have my prayers, I am SO sorry.. is he at the new hospital IMC? I wish I could change this whole situation. I am terribly sorry, he sounds like such an AMAZING member of our community as well as such a great guy. Please know I am thinking of you.

Denise said...

He's at the VA hospital.
Thanks, guys. I should get another report sometime overnight....asked my mom to call no matter the time. Shalise, I'm sure this is opening fresh wounds, and I'm terribly sorry for that.

Corbie said...

When I got your email across my blackberry yesterday, I read your words and pictured Roger in my mind. You did an amazing job of describing him because somehow the personality you described conjured up an image of someone who looks just like this picture of him. You (and Roger) have been in my thoughts.