Saturday, April 26, 2008

Godspeed, Frodo Baggins

Ahhh, Rolex. Not your grandfather's watch, but the only CCI **** (that's 4-star) 3-day event in the United States. Held at the BEAUTIFUL Kentucky Horse Park, home to many retired race and show horses...and the United States Equestrian Federation. Each year at the end of April the best of the best make their appearance to complete the grueling task of a dressage test, cross-country run, and a stadium jumping course in the short span of 3 days. I know it doesn't sound like much, but these horses and riders are THE athletes of the equine show world! It's always a total thrill to watch...especially Day 2 when cross country is tackled. That was today (Saturday).

As always, Karen O'Connor made her mark. It used to be her and David (the same one who won the Olympic Gold in Sydney and who's mom still teaches dressage in the Salt Lake Valley), but now David is the big wig in charge of the USEF...he's still a looker, though! Oh yeah, I should mention that I thought he was the most gorgeous being when I was a junior, and I THRILLED at the times he was at Lynnleigh or an awards dinners. But I digress....

Being that I'm currently consumed by ponies, it is a big thing to me that Karen is taking the world by storm with her pint-sized mount, Theodore O'Connor....no relation. Teddy was bred by Patricia Wynn Norman in Florida, and she is a wonderful woman. It's just pure coincidence that Teddy and Karen became a team and share the same name. The pair are making their second appearance at Rolex, won the Pan Am Games, and are preparing for the Olympics in Beijing (Hong Kong, actually, for the equestrian events), a big thing for a Sportpony standing at 14.1 3/4 hands high!

They aren't the only Olympic hopefuls in the ring this year. There are always plenty. This season I want to focus on Laine Ashker and her 16.2hh black New Zealand bred Thoroughbred, "Frodo Baggins." Lainey is all of 24-years-old and very accomplished. She's been riding since she was 2, just a lovely rider to watch.




Frodo was named for the character in the Lord of the Rings, AND he made an appearance in the movie! In the first movie the Hobbits are being chased by the Dark Riders. The scene where the Hobbits are crouched below the tree roots and the main Dark Rider stops his horse on top of them....that horse is this particular Frodo Baggins. Frodo also was present at the premier of the movie, paraded around New Zealand, and met the Prime Minister. A successful movie star and a successful eventer in his new home in the USA.




So, I've already mentioned that today was the cross-country portion of Rolex. All was going well, which is really good considering the accidents in recent months. Frodo got in too deep to fence number five...a flower basket....and he had what is called a "rotational" fall. That means he hit the jump just right and flipped head over heels. Bad enough by itself, but riders can't get out of the way, which means Frodo landed right on top of Lainey.

A delay ensued, 90 minutes worth of delay. Lainey was taken out via Life Flight to the University of Kentucky Medical Center. She has suffered a broken jaw and lost a few teeth...officially. Unofficially, I've heard she also fractured a vertebrae, but is otherwise doing fine. Really, she is a VERY lucky woman.

Frodo was stuck behind the tarps while being attended to by the veterinary staff. He was still conscious, but unable to get up. He was stabilized, treated for pain and shock, tranquilized, then loaded onto the equine ambulance via slider floor and taken to Hagyard Equine Hospital for further treatment...or THE decision. It was found he suffered a fracture at the base of his skull, as well as severe lung injury (rumored to be a pulmonary hemorrhage), given a poor prognosis. His human family made the decision to let him go.

So, Frodo Baggins has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Lainey has lost two of her very best friends in just over a year's time (the previous being Eight St. James Place at Jersey Fresh). I don't know how she'll manage to get back in the saddle....but I know she will.





Let me mention now just how much I admire eventers. They are some crazy brave people! I like my fences to fall when I hit them, not the other way around...maybe I'm truly a wimp, but I'm okay with that. Heaven help me if my son decides eventing is his sport, though!

Get well soon, Lainey. Godspeed, Frodo Baggins.

2 comments:

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Denise,
What a sad story! I am always amazed at how much trust you guys put into horses, I love horses but still have a fear! I am sorry to hear of this loss, what a beautiful horse, I hope for the recovery and strength for Lainey. Thanks for the post!

Denise said...

Sad to say that another horse who fell yesterday, The Quiet Man, was euthanized this morning. As of last night he was confirmed to have a shoulder injury, but further review this morning gave him a poor prognosis...even as a pasture ornament.
Tough year at Rolex!!