Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sound Memory....

They say "tazo" is the memory trigger from smell...scent memory. Really it means "river of life," so I have no idea where all these folks get the scent memory connection, but it still sounds pretty cool. Anyway, it makes me wonder what the correct word or term for sound memory is. You know, the memories brought on by a song, or train whistle, or whatever.

Hawaii has been on my mind a lot lately. It's been 10 years since I moved back to the mainland, but the memories hold me just like it was last month. You'd think I'd be going back there when I wear my plumeria perfume, or from the ginger I still like to munch on, or because of the sunscreen I put on my face daily. Afterall, those are the things I smelled and tasted every single day there. Nope. Not the trigger.

I hear a song and am immediately transported to my morning runs in Aloha A'ina park on base, the Great Aloha Run, the Ford Island Bridge plank owner race, or the H3 race from hell (seriously, WHAT was I thinking? It was horrible running up one side of the mountain, through the tunnel, only to think "wow, this view is soooo worth it." Yeah, then the bigger pain of running down the other side reminded me that I was an idiot). I hear another song and I'm sitting on the Hickam beach watching my dear, sweet husband's submarine sail off for God only knows where while tears stream down my face. One more song and I'm goofing off with my coworker's in the middle of the night while we're half a mile underground doing Top Secret squirrel stuff.

Heck, even now as I'm sharing this stuff I've got two songs doing battle in my mind! Straight back to the Tunnel giggling over the way Dr Pepper smells and singing at the top of our lungs at Raday. Thank goodness everyone did it and the WOC thought it was hilarious...

But even sitting at home in a rare quiet moment can trigger the response. Spring and summer are the timeframe. The breeze through the trees and the call of a killdeer or seagull put me on the reef on base with the sharks swimming over my feet. That same breeze with the giggle of a child outside puts me at the Three Tables in Shark's Cove enjoying the turtles begging for some illegal attention (who knew wild Green Sea Turtles were so affectionate?) before they zoomed back into the water. The sound of my next door neighbor's having a grand time on the weekends makes me lay in bed thinking I'm back in my barracks room...except there's no flightline 150 yards out my window.

I can't believe it was so long ago!!

The other place that my mind drifts to so very often is Washington. Not the state, the District of Columbia. I may have lived 3 hours away, but I was in that city and metro area a few times a month. I love it there. Strange, considering I'm not much of one for cities.

I didn't get a 4th of July in 2002. Well, I did, but it was spent helping my fellow townsfolk evacuate because of an approaching flood and the day's celebrations had been cancelled....obviously. Since we were in PA by July 2003, I stated DC was where I wanted to spend Independence Day. That was just so, so, SOO much fun! And the best fireworks display ever! What a baptism to an incredible place....I'll always see the Lincoln Memorial when I hear fireworks now.

It's getting a little late for it, but I always get a little sad this time of year when I can't go enjoy the cherry blossoms. It's hard when I'm missing my grandparents and I can't take a day trip to just hang out at the WWII Memorial (of which we were blessed to attend the dedication ceremony for). I miss seeing AF1, AF2, Marine1, or Marine2 on a regular basis while pulling Reserve Duty at Andrews. It bites that I'm not still walking the vast halls of the Pentagon. And I miss the reverence of Arlington National Cemetery and the majesty of the National Cathedral.

Those memories are always triggered by music. Tons of different genres, each having a specific place, or weather event, or festival, or something that sends my mind reeling back to a city that I absolutely fell in love with.

Two places that are completely different, but that will always hold my heart. Two places that have brought moments of definition to my life. Two places that will always come straight to mind and flood my heart with incredible memories...all because of music.

All because of sound memory.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I didn't know you were so well traveled. I too love sound memory. It's great to beable to have all those memories.

Claudia said...

I love it! One song, "breakfast at tiffany's" always takes me back to the first little apartment we lived in after we got married. We were young, poor, and totally oblivious! What a wonderful life. Does Tiffany's still serve breakfast?