Friday, April 11, 2008

Holy Cow, That Was Close!!!

Nothing real big or important...just an observation.

We just heard helicopters on the way over the house, nothing uncommon. We hear them all the time, compliments of Fort Carson. Personally, I love it. Being the dork that I am, I had to race outside to take a look. Before I did, I scooped Luke up because he's becoming interested in aircraft, as well. After taking just one nanosecond to figure out which door would be best, we bolted out the sliding door...just in time.

What do we see? A little bit of a scary sight. I'm not sure how this happened! A Blackhawk (military) and a local news chopper so close together in passing that the news chopper actually had to dip down to miss hitting the Blackhawk! For a moment I was sure we'd have a new decoration in our yard (literally, we were staring straight up into the bellies, followed by a windowed nose on the news chopper...). Thank goodness that wasn't the case! Chopper crashes are more deadly to the crews than plane crashes.....not to mention the houses right here. And they were very low. The lowest I've seen for actual flight around here (in their defense, the cloud deck is so low and thick so this was probably where they were assigned for the visual aspect)....save for the neighbor coming in and doing a 3 foot buzz on the road and easement last summer to show off for his wife (that was cool)...low enough that I saw the "holy crap!" look on the news pilot's face, followed by him saying something, though I don't know what.

We stayed outside a few moments to watch them fly off. They weren't flying in opposite directions, as in they weren't coming in head on then tail-to-tail to each other, but I watched because it was such an unusual experience to have the news chopper right here. News guys went West-Northwest, Blackhawk went due North. A little backward, unless the Blackhawk was going to Peterson for some reason and the news chopper was heading to a mountain community. But it was enough to satisfy me that there was no need to turn the TV on. Just weird.

Oh, and here comes one of them on the way back...

Aren't I dork?

No comments: