Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fires and Fields Of Study...

Wow, did Boulder dodge a bullet last night! We had big winds again yesterday throughout the Eastern side of the Continental Divide. It's typical this time of year, but Boulder and areas surrounding were the ones hit with the 80 mph gusts in this round. That brought down power lines, one of which started a fire. That fire sparked others, and the battle was one. Crews were able to put out the smaller fires fairly quickly, but two of them merged into one big one....and it was scary. Officials evacuated 11,000 homes, people were shuttling in trailers to help evacuate the horses and multitudes of llamas (there are dozens of llama farms in the area affected), and shelters were opened up throughout Boulder County and into Denver. A main highway through town was closed, the same highway that takes you the 25-minute drive up to Estes Park, and the fire ended up jumping it. I have also heard 9 horses and 1 dog are missing (which is terrible, but better than those numbers being human).

Latest word is that the fire is 30% contained, winds have backed down a bit, and crews believe they'll have it under control and contained by late afternoon. That's good. Five houses, a chicken coop, and a barn have been lost, including the home on one of the llama farms. It could have been so much worse (and really looked like it was going to be), so this news, as horrible as it is, is actually very good.

In other news, my big brother makes me so proud! He's a 15-yr veteran of the U.S. Air Force. I thought I was going to pop when he made Major a few years ago, but yesterday proved that some things only grow. We knew he was up for promotion again and that he stood a good chance. The bad part was that we all had to wait until this month to find anything out. Let me tell you, nothing is guaranteed in the military. Especially promotions. My world was a little different because the promotion process is different. Enlisted members have to test, and it's not an easy little test, especially when half of it is classified and you can't study at home or while on duty. Officers face a board, need to have certain recommendations, stuff like that. Nothing is guaranteed.

Anyway, David made the phone calls yesterday. He got the official word that he has been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel! YAAAAY!!! My big brother is officially an O-5! Okay, technically he won't "officially" be LtCol (light Colonel) until his line number comes up and he pins on, but close enough. I just can't express how proud I am of this double-engineer military officer that I always get into trouble with! Congratulations, Big Brother!!

I upped my school schedule for this semester. I had originally registered and prepared for only one class, but looking at a few things I decided to add a class the other day. So, now I will be taking 2 classes. They are one the same day, consecutive to each other, and even using the same classroom. It takes me from a 1/4-time student to a half time student. It just made sense! It is also part of my whole thing of dealing with difficulties in my chosen major.

As all are aware, I am working to gain entry into nursing school. I have the desire to become a surgical nurse. The problem? Nursing school is a pain to get into. It's very academic now, which is workable, but it also has this ridiculous waiting list. The one at my school is currently 18-months, and you can't get on until you complete all of your pre-requisites and pass the Nursing Entrance Test. Okay, fine, but then you have the possibility of those pre-req's expiring while you wait, and that you need to take filler classes that aren't part of your major's program. On top of that, there is no guarantee you'll be accepted, especially not in the time you expect. Oh, and this is a SHORT waiting list! So, what is a soul to do?

Well, in my case, the soul decides to have a major to fall back on. I will complete my pre-req's and apply for nursing school, but while I am waiting I will pursue another field of study. Whichever eventually is deemed the best for me, assuming I am accepted into nursing school in a timely manner, that will be the major and career field I will complete my studies in.

You ask what the second field of study I am working towards is? Do I dare share it? Oh, why not. It's a career field I have a little bit of experience in, and one I very much enjoyed the schooling the military gave me. It is one that offers a number of areas so I wouldn't be drowned in one little thing. It is one that I would still have the capacity to help others. The undergrad degree would be pre-law. If all were to go well, I'd go on and complete my law degree. It's possible, but probably a little scary to those who know me.

So, there you have it. The happenings in a nutshell. Now, I am off to help my big boy keep his boxers dry and clean....

4 comments:

Corbie said...

I'm going to go right to the meat of it - go pre-law! Do it! Tell yourself you can and go for it! Life is short and if you think that is what you want then go for it - I know you can. Either way, lawyer or nurse, you will be great!

Jenn said...

Congrat to your Bro!!! That is so awesome.
Pre-law huh? You would make a great lawyer. I hope when the time comes to having to choose one you get the one you want.
Hope you are having many dry and clean boxers.

tristanjh said...

As usual, I am seconding Corbie's comments, but I think if you want to go to law school then go for it. I once aspired to go to law school and I let the opportunity pass me by because I was too busy second guessing myself. Do what feels right to you!

Denise said...

Wow...a cheering section! But seriously, can you actually imagine me as a lawyer?? Sheesh! What a scary thought! But then, me as a nurse is pretty scary, too....
Thanks, guys :)