Thursday, January 29, 2009

San Antone...

The "Family" I refer to in this note is the tight-knit group I worked with at Lackland at the start of this century. I have often thought of every single person who was there, and I've had the pleasure of keeping in touch with a few since I left. Those years were the absolute worst years of my life (to date), though only a handful of people know why. There were even a few who completely judged my behavior and figured I was just a lazy loser. Not my shiftworkers. They were awesome. This includes our chief, the only officer I've ever had such high respect for that he has had a profound effect on my life.

You see, due to what had later been found to be a misdiagnosis (and, therefore, mismanaged treatment), I was only able to work during the day....and I left an hour before shift was up. That's because my "treatment" left me so danged loopy and sleepy that being on the road was dangerous. It's also why I was often flirting with being late to work (much to the irritation of those who had no idea and thought I was just irresponsible and lazy). Life outside of work was miserable, and I look back at my time there with absolute shame. I certainly didn't give my all because I was just unable to...despite trying. It's hard to explain.

Anyway, there is this small group of people on Facebook with whom I not only worked, but have been able to reconnect with. Oh. My. Goodness! You people are amazing! You have taken those awful, awful, and embarrassing memories and made them gold! You have made me realize that something in that place, and something in my life during that time really was wonderful. You have made me realize that there is such a thing as true humanity in this world. You have made me realize that mistakes and bad things can happen, but true friends, cohorts, and brother/sisterhood exists. You are all so special, and I am proud to call you friends.

I love you all.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

That's the great thing about true friends - they forget the embarrassing stuff and only remember the good times. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a true friend's memory is priceless!

tristanjh said...

Aren't we lucky to have people in our lives who wear rose colored glasses?