Monday, February 23, 2009

Spring Has Sprung...

Luke and I spent a fair amount of time outside yesterday. Why not? We may both be hacking and coughing every few seconds, but the weather was warm, sunny, and virtually now wind. A little sun was sure to do us some good. And since the weather was so nice, we also tackled the task of watering the lawn.....again. I know other parts of the country are socked in with tons of snow, but we've missed out and will be paying for it come summer.

A few weeks ago I had mentioned that my crocuses and daffodils were coming up. Six weeks early for them to be poking out of the ground. Looking around one could also see the trees were starting to bud, the most obvious being the globe willows and their green tips. Well, yesterday was even more evidence of our early spring. The crocuses are blooming!



Okay, so it's only a couple of them, but I can see the heads on all of them and expect my full garden's worth to be in bloom by this time next week.

My lilacs have buds, my cottonwood tree is really budding...I suppose we'll have actual leaves within a few weeks. The sap has moved to the ends of the branches on the maple trees, and they have little buds, too. It's good to know they survived winter, but good grief! We shouldn't be seeing this stuff for another four weeks! March is our snowiest month, so the thought of that being ahead is a good one. I just seriously doubt we'll be seeing a whole lot.

I believe those in PA and the rest of the Northeast will be sticking with another 4 weeks of winter, but those of us in Eastern Colorado thought Punxatawny Phil was smoking crack. It appears he was right on for those in his area, but for us? Nope! Spring has sprung...

2 comments:

Corbie said...

We had a glimpse of it on Saturday but now we are back to winter - I'm ready for a change!

Claudia said...

We are enjoying some warm weather ourselves right now - and I'm wishing I had put some bulbs in the ground!