Sunday, June 22, 2008

Thanks, Dear....

I have a dear friend out there who means the world to me. We dated for about 6 months way back in 1996. It didn't work out. We tried again, sort of, after he arrived in Hawaii (after me) in 1997. It didn't work out....again. But we remained friends.

Gibby is currently deployed to a location in Iraq that I hesitate to share. Given that HE shared, I probably could, but I choose not to for security reasons. He'll be coming home soon, but I'm on pins and needles until I know he's safe back on U.S. soil. The point being that I am sure you can tell we've been talking while he's been away. Well, not talking so much as emailing since the location kind of dictates that, but conversing nonetheless.

I have been given a wonderful observation about my husband, whom I think won't mind my actually mentioning him this one time, by a man I used to date and remained friends with. Gibby has lost a number of girlfriends due to his military career. He was in a stable and serious relationship when he left for Iraq. She pretty well dumped him as soon as he was gone. He's just a great guy who treats women with such respect that I'm truly shocked he's still single, let alone that these women have hurt him so badly. But it has given me an even deeper appreciation for the man I love with all my heart.

It's no secret that my marriage has had some extremely rough moments. We argue a fair amount, and we're not so very shy about it. That's what happens when you both have hot tempers and try to be the one in charge (I'm the most guilty here!!). We're both fairly independent and actually cherish time just to ourselves (with toddler in tow, of course). We have extremely different opinions on things that would surprise people. But above all we love each other, are completely devoted to each other, and would stop a train for each other. There have been things that have happened that have proven that to even the biggest skeptic. We entered into our marriage with eyes wide open about the work it takes to stay together, and we're willing to lay it all on the line to keep our hearts intact.

The observation Gibby gave me, though he will never have a clue, is that I'm a very lucky woman. I've spent time away for job purposes and on mini-vacations by myself. I've had days where I'm just the most mean person alive. I've had issues arise that would send most people hiding in the hills. Through it all my dear and patient husband has stood by me. He hasn't complained, he hasn't criticized me, he has simply stood by me and offered support. Support that only a truly good and loving person can.

While it is also true that I've stayed by his side through job separations and other not-so-fun times, there have been times I've been critical. And I certainly have complained. Trust me, he is sooooo much better at being the supportive spouse than I am!

I will be starting school again in just a couple of short months. Through all my doubts and fears, my wonderful husband has encouraged and supported me. In order to help pay school and childcare fees, a big decision is in the works. Much to my surprise, my dear man is not only on board, but feels it is worth a serious look. I must say I was shocked at my relief!

Anyway, I can't thank him enough for the way he's loved and supported me. I am truly and eternally grateful.......

No comments: