Thursday, June 26, 2008

The trip home...

What a way to start the day! The whole house was shaken awake by a thunderstorm. The lightning flash was what woke me, but the thunder is what got all 4 of us out from our sheets. It wasn't only loud, it was echoing off the rock walls all around us! It was so cool!

The wise wonder that I am, I decided Luke and I could wait to shower until the morning. Now I was realizing I wasn't very bright. Lightning was dancing all around. There was even enough rain falling that the wash in front of the house was full. The water rinsing from the road was a raging, muddy waterfall into the wash. Quite the sight, actually! None of us thought to get a picture, oh well. It sounded like hail was falling, too, but we couldn't actually see it.

I did manage to grab a quick shower when the thunder had quieted for a bit, so that was very good. But it was hard to finish packing up the stuff used for the morning and load the mini-van.

We checked out, strapped ourselves in, and headed down the road. To the Crazy Horse memorial. I had asked my parents to run us there on the way out because there were some books I wanted to pick up from a vendor. I wasn't able the other day. Besides, it was on the way, so it was easy. It gave us a chance to use our re-admit pass, too!

We were struck with a sight along the road and in the Hills as we traveled. It looked like snow!! Seriously? The storm we had this late June morning brought snow to the Black Hills! Wow...we knew it was coldish again, but dang! We pulled into the memorial and saw piles of the white stuff all around, slowly melting.


Guess what? It wasn't snow. It was hail! The gate guard said it was 33 degrees during the storm and the hail was about 6 inches deep in areas. Wow! Granted, it was mostly melted by the time we saw it, but it's still impressive. I guess the area was sad we were leaving, too, and just let loose (I can dream, can't I?).


I think we spent more time at Crazy Horse than we intended, but we again had the chance to speak to some fascinating people and learn more things. But, alas, the time came to make the journey home.

We had a fairly uneventful, but much warmer trip this leg, despite how the morning began. We did hit some construction traffic....twice. In Colorado (I can't stand CDOT). But we were able to make it to see daddy before he had to get very busy at work, then home at a fairly reasonable hour. It was great to see my husband, then later my pets, but I was already missing all the trees, rocks, and glory we had experienced. It was strange to have so much open land around me!

The day done, we four weary travelers climbed into our respective beds and were soon engulfed in the dreams of the night. I think we were all touched by our travels, but we were also glad for the respite a quiet and comfortable home provides....


1 comment:

Jenn said...

I know I would have cried a hail storm if you were leaving me.
That sleeping picture is so pricless. You should turn it into an iron-on and make a pillow case.