Friday, June 6, 2008

Catching up...

What a surprise yesterday to see that BOTH the AFCOS and SECY of the Air Force were fired! Usually only one person gets the axe, but Gen Gates was finished with both. This has caused a good deal of discussion in Air Force circles. Some think it's crap, some think it's wonderful, others, myself included, are on the fence. It's going to mean upheaval for a while, but it also could be a very good thing for the military branch of service I love so much.

It rained yesterday. A lot. Canon City (30 miles West of us) received over two inches, Colorado City (30 miles South of us) received almost 4 inches. We received somewhere around 2-2.5 inches. It's wonderful! Granted, it never even reached 60 degrees, but that's alright. We desperately needed the water. My lawns and garden are very happy this fine morning. It's already 70 degrees and just beautiful. Luke is just glad he can go outside today!

It might be a big day for Luke. We're going big boy bed shopping this afternoon! For some strange reason all the furniture stores are having massive sales right now....or they're going out of business. Either way, it's the perfect time to try to find something for him. I've been putting him in on the guest bed at night and he's been doing well. He's been waking around 4am and coming in with me, but it's a step in the direction of independence. I'm pretty proud of him for not really even blinking an eye at the "strange" bed because a lot of other kids would have a complete heart attack. Let's hope the big boy bed goes just as well.

I'm still entirely engrossed in the Upperville show. They had severe weather with torrents of rain on Wednesday. Even a tornado moved through their area! I know of some farms and homes in Middleburg, which is right there with Upperville, that suffered damage. The torrents of rain were impressive, too, I guess. I spoke to my dear friend yesterday and she said the tractors were in full swing pulling people out of the foot-deep mud in the parking area. She was one of them....4-wheel drive dually and gooseneck trailer with horse already loaded.

The hunter ring is rather boring now....just two seven-stride lines around the outside being used. Twice around the ring. It's like pile of poles all over again! The jumper ring looks a little slick, but they're getting around just fine. Tomorrow is the sidesaddle, foxhunter, and family classes. I'll be completely shocked if they don't use the whole hunter ring for that.

Tomorrow is also the day we find out if the 30-year wait for a Triple Crown winner is over. Big Brown makes his bid from the number one post position. Yikes! But he should have enough in him to move a little outside and run his own race. He's the real deal, but even the real deal gets a rotten hand sometimes. You can bet I'll be glued to a television for the race, though!

Finally, I just have to share this picture a friend snapped the other day. I think it's just adorable, but I also admit to being biased.



I had just finished my ride and Luke was quite clear in saying it was his turn. He was working on getting my foot kicked out of my iron. Pardon his hair. I didn't comb it that morning because I knew he'd be wearing his helmet and sweating, so I knew there was no point since it would look like that when he took his helmet off, anyway. Claire was giving him loves and licking his blonde head. Just very cute.

Well, my child certainly knows how to get my attention. He's now running around as a jaybird, so I must go figure out how to keep clothes on him. What a goofy boy....

No comments: