Monday, October 27, 2008

Boo At The Zoo!

This is the time of year I enjoy for baking and acting foolish. Baking? Why, yes!

I love pumpkins, and all the things I can make from them. In this inaugural year of the garden in Pueblo West, my pumpkins were a bumper crop. I was able to harvest a dozen of them, sacrificing one to the birds who couldn't resist while it was still green (it ended up growing and ripening, but the birds did enough damage that they can have that one). That's pretty darned good for the size of my garden! I have a plethora of recipes from the Amish in Pennsylvania and Ohio (some were actually given to me by the family I bought my eggs, bread, and some items of tack from) and you'd better believe I put them to good use! There is one recipe that is mine, a pumpkin cheesecake that took me a while to perfect, but the rest is from them. I have already put the pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe to good use. Tonight my home is filled with the spicy-sweet scent of maple pumpkin bread. Three loaves! Not bad for one pumpkin. This weekend I hope to get a batch of pumpkin butter made and canned, and maybe prepare and freeze some of my orange wonder-squash for use over the holiday season. It's just so not the same to use the store bought canned stuff. I suddenly have a hankering to make pumpkin whoopie pies, so maybe that is what I'll do for the neighborhood Christmas gift this year. Something quite unique to one group of people that I can share with another.

Then there is the acting foolish thing. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's just the moment when everyone, adults included, can dress up as something they aren't and have a little fun doing so. The fact I have a little one to share this goofiness with is what makes it so darned fun for me. The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo participates in the Boo At The Zoo program, though we skipped it last year and Luke was too young the year before. For those who are unaware, Cheyenne Mountain is where NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense) is based. The zoo was established in the late 1800's by a Spencer Penrose, who made a fortune in gold mining near Cripple Creek. It is literally on the side of the mountain, above the foothills, and it's a great workout for parents and kids who can walk! That location also makes it a rather cool spot, temperature wise. Hence the reason I declined to take a 4-month old baby a couple of years ago.
This year, however, it was a go. I had planned on taking him, anyway, but a friend who was hoping to come to our house and an attraction in Pueblo had to change plans and said "why don't we go tonight?" Luke was adamant he didn't want to dress up, had daddy on his side, and I didn't push the issue, so we ate a quick dinner and made the 45-minute drive. Being that it was in the mid-3o's, the costume would've been covered by his coat, anyway. I just told everyone we were football fans who left a game (which we did...on TV) to do a little gazing at some night creatures. It got giggles.

Upon entry we ran into a Star Wars fan club. Most were in Storm Trooper uniforms, but we also saw Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, various bounty hunters, and other characters that would take too long to mention. Given that my brother is the biggest fan out there and gushed over our choice of name for our son (Lucas reminds him of George Lucas, Luke is Luke Skywalker, of course), I couldn't resist. Poor Luke was less than amused. He kept a watchful eye but didn't seem to be too bothered. That was fine, until they started talking to him. Oh, the tears! He was scared! They were authentic costumes, which means they had that electronic voice from a microphone inside. He didn't think that was cool.

But he did like the mounds of candy handed to him. He was trying to two-fist it for a while, but was unsuccessful. He laughed at the kids who were goofing off, pointed out the ghosts and lights, exclaimed when he spotted the ponies, looked for the lions (they were out and awake, but a little hard to see for a 2-yr old), and let me know he is still not sure about touching or feeding the tall giraffes (he'd rather just watch them right now....no problem, I'll feed 'em!).



As we left we took a group picture with the Storm Troopers again. Luke immediately started crying, but sat still until we took the pictures. He calmed right down once away from the clamor of the photo opportunity. We went to the cars and prepared for the drive home.

Just as we were preparing to leave we had a visitor! I wish I could've taken some better pictures of him (her?), but we were all trying to not freak the poor visitor to the point of galloping away in sheer terror. A red fox decided to canvas the parking lot for trash and found itself between our two cars, just inches from 7 humans! It finally realized and dashed away, but oh what a sight! I love those creatures, just a classy looking animal that is so very smart. Loyal, too, when given the chance (just ask Red, who befriended a girl red fox when we moved here. We haven't seen her since the property she kept her den on had a family move in. I miss her and the visits she gave my dear dog in the backyard).

Luke will dress up in a few days, and so will I. Until then, we'll remember the animals who stayed awake to watch the crazy humans wander their home.....

2 comments:

tristanjh said...

What fun! My kids would have given their left arms to see those Star Wars characters. Having just seen 'The Clone Wars' it is a never ending galactic battle in my house, complete with light sabers and such!

Corbie said...

I love the zoo idea for Halloween! We did a zoo snooze a couple of years in a row where you pitch a tent and sleep overnight. Being at the zoo at night is always a little spooky so Halloween is pure brilliance.