Thursday, October 16, 2008

Farewell, My Magnificent Friend....



While I was in Utah, I received word of losing a very special friend. He's been sick for a while, we all knew it was coming, but we also hoped to have more time with him.

Cardiff Lotus was my first real introduction to the world of Welsh Ponies. Sure, I'd been around them before, but not exclusively. Nor had I ever been around a stallion of such presence and gentleness. Luke met Lotus at the age of 15 months. He was the first pony we turned Luke loose with. Granted, he wasn't totally alone, but Luke learned how to safely feed a pony, lead a pony (which is still hit & miss for obvious reasons), move around a pony, and cuddle a pony with Lotus as the guinea pig. Why? I knew I could trust him.

But Loti wasn't just any pony. He was the stallion. Sure, there were 2 other stallions when we started, but one is no longer intact and is now winning on the circuit in California. The other was gelded last week after having about a year to prove he could behave and failing that task. Loti, however, was a total dream.

I loved this stallion. I gave him hugs, kisses on the nose, and as many treats as I could (until he became sick, then no more treats). I pulled his mane in the spring (after these pictures) while he dozed, I snipped tail hairs after he first crashed and had a horsehair memory pot made from them for his owner, I bathed him for fun, and I trusted him with secrets that I haven't shared outside of his ears. More than that, I fully trusted him with my son. No other pony has gained that from me.

Going to the barn will never be the same. There will no longer be a beautiful and white face greeting me, waiting for his dose of "Hello, favorite stallion in the whole world! How are you?" No wonderful boy to give tons of hugs and kisses to. No more pony for my son to climb in with just so he could give a hug around the leg.

I am grateful for the day I had with him before leaving for Utah. He was in horrible shape, the first time I'd seen him lay out flat (as opposed to sternal). I doused him in fly spray, which he hated but really needed, then just shed a tear in his mane while I hugged his neck as tightly as I dared. He gently curled his head around me to hug back, something he'd never actually done before. I gathered myself up, kissed his nose, told him some sweet things, and came on home. I knew it would be the last time I would see him. I just didn't want to admit it. That was Wedseneday, Lotus crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Saturday at the young age of 16.

Farewell, my magnificent friend. I will miss you very deeply...

5 comments:

Jenn said...

What a beauty. Sorry about your lose. You may have know it was coming but it still isni't easy when it happens:(

sarah said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Beautiful horse...

tristanjh said...

That horse is absolutely gorgeous. I am truly sorry for the sadness you are feeling.

Corbie said...

So, I truly understand the love of a particular horse and I have been struggling with how to properly word my sympathy. Turns out, nothing really conveys it properly so just know that I am so very sorry for your loss.

Claudia said...

No one can really understand how you are feeling right now, but know that we care about you and wish we could make your burden lighter.