Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Time To Cut....

It's official, I am voting early. Tomorrow, to be exact. Not what I was expecting, but it's either that, or let my voice be silent and figure out how to keep my mouth shut for 4 years. I refuse the latter (I certainly didn't put my time into a job I loved under a "boss" I couldn't stand just to let my right to vote pass me by), so I figure out some time to plant my behind in a voting booth tomorrow afternoon.

I fully thought I'd cast my ballot on Election Day, which, of course, is Tuesday, November 4. That's going to be impossible since I'll be finding myself in a hospital bed. My surgery is scheduled and everything is set for the procedure to begin at 1030. I'm anxious to (hopefully) be free from the pain that's plagued me for over 2 years, but I'm also nervous because any surgery comes with the fact it's not foolproof. Nor am I looking forward to having to actually get up and walk around before coming home on Wednesday since I'm having something a little extensive.

It was about a year ago that I started actually feeling the gallbladder problem. At that time I figured it would need to come out. Not a big deal. What I didn't exactly bank on, even after the 7-months it took for the stellar doctors in Pueblo County to figure out a) I wasn't lying about what I was feeling and what tests wouldn't actually show something, b) that the gallbladder actually was sick and in need of coming out, was that the other issues I'd been dealing with since Luke was born (probably longer, just aggravated by actually having a baby) would leave me needing further surgery. Don't get me wrong, the doctors here seem to have a great handle on other things, but when it comes to gallbladders they seem clueless (not just my case, trust me).

The gallbladder will have company on Tuesday. I have been in a varying degree of pain in another part of my body since June of 2006. After trying a multitude of treatments, and the the idea of waiting for the body to feel better, the decision came that something permanent needed to be do. So, I am also having a hysterectomy. One ovary will remain, but the rest is leaving my body. I am so VERY grateful for the sweet child God saw fit to give me, and I am sad that he'll be the only living child from my body. But I am also grateful that the lessons from his birth have been taken seriously and my doctor is so patient with me.

I was given the liberty of waiting until summer was over, something I am so happy about that I could spit. I just couldn't think of spending the warm months sitting in my house and unable to do anything. I do that enough in winter, why couldn't I at least be healing? The initial surgeon agreed. That left only the decision of where to have the surgery, and who would be doing it. If I stayed close to home, I would have to establish a relationship with an obstetric doctor who wouldn't know my history. If I went to Colorado Springs, I would have to find a new general surgeon. Springs won out.

So, Tuesday I will be watching the election results from a bed in the hospital where my son was born. I admit that I don't know I'll even have a clue about things until later, what with anesthesia and pain meds, but I do know it will be my first night away from my baby boy. That's what I am so nervous about. The good thing is that he'll have his doting grandmother and his favorite person in the world (Daddy) here with him.

And, with that, I am off to bed. Rest assured this is extensive, but a great thing for all of us....

8 comments:

Corbie said...

I won't be able to find the right words here but when they come to me, I will send them privately. Until then, know that I am thinking of you and sending all the goodness I can muster your way.

xoxo

Claudia said...

I will pray for you and your family. Not only for the trauma of the surgery, which sounds like it will be significant, but also for the tender heart of a little boy who will miss his Mommy. I wish you a speedy recovery and freedom from pain.

Ben and April said...

I will be praying for you Denise that the surgery will go smoothly and that your recovery will be quick and as painless as possible!

sarah said...

I hope all goes well in surgery. Man, you have gone through a lot. I hope that your surgery goes safely and that when it is over, you can live a full mostly pain free- life with a wonderful, cute little boy and a loving husband.

tristanjh said...

I too will be thinking of you and praying for your family.

labibliotecaria said...

Denise - I hope your surgery goes well. You will be in my prayers. Love, Lisa

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Dear sweet Denise! Please know my heart and thoughts go ur way. Ur such a great mom and have such a wonderful child in Luke what a great blessing he is. Please keep us posted! Can I do anything 4 u.
X0x0

Jenn said...

I'm sitting here reading blogs and watching the election also. I hope all went well and you will soon be back to yourself minus the pain. I will continue to keep your family in my prayers.