Saturday, October 11, 2008

Real Sal...uhhh Sandy!!

Yes, yes, we are here in the wonderful, NOT desolate, Salt Lake Valley! Sandy, to be exact. Sorry to everyone that I have kind of shunned for the trip. Honestly, I do want to get together during a visit, but this trip was already tricky enough. I wish I had a few more days just for the purpose of seeing a few people.

But I AM pleased to report that our 10 months of planning came through beautifully! My brother and his family beat us to the house (thanks to the fog bank between Cheyenne and Laramie on our drive), which completely surprised my parents. That was part one, and it was a huge deal. Mom & Dad were thrilled.

All 4 grandkids in the house, plus us adult kids. Granted, it's just my little family staying in the basement of this teeny, tiny house of my childhood, but that's not the point.

Today we managed to successfully surprise them again. This is where the 10 months of planning came through. We were "invited" to my dad's cousin's house for lunch. Mom was sure we needed to be prompt, while I was telling her we needed to let Luke sleep so we needed to drive around a little bit more. She didn't know I was stalling for time, and my dear, wonderful husband was doing his best (as driver) to do that while hearing me bicker with my mom. Poor dad was just sitting there with the usual under-his-breath giggles.

We did manage to stall a few minutes, and my parents did get their big surprise. And, boy, were they surprised!! It was a small gathering, complete with a high school friend that has kept in touch with all of us over the years. We have a ton of food left over, but it's worth it. My parents had no idea and were stunned off their hineys.

Now comes the time to plan the perfect "kidnapping" of my beautiful niece for tomorrow. This is her first time anywhere near any mountains and snow. Since this storm has the perfect timing, I am determined to give her a break from toddlers (HA!!) and steal her away to Albion Basin for a few hours. I'm not sure I'll win, but I'll give it a good try......

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I was hoping the snow wasn't going to ruin any of your plans. Instead it looks like it is helping you make plans. I hope you enjoy your stay while you are here and make many memories.