Saturday, November 8, 2008

Boredom....

I am so bored. I am pretty well useless right now. I offered to help look for the missing car keys that Luke apparently hid well, and I offered to take care of the cat litter. Both mundane, easy, and at least something besides sitting my butt in bed or the recliner. No dice. I got in trouble for even thinking about it. *sigh*

At this point I kind of wish we were in Hawaii. At least there I could plant my butt on the beach and rest. I loved living there. It was never boring, always beautiful, always warm, and the sweet smell of salt water is soothing. I am glad to not be living there any longer, but right now I am deeply missing it. But when I think of it, who in their right mind would want to sit on the beach with all those people who have beautiful bodies while my tummy is no longer flat but squishy, has holes in it, and I'd be stuck in pajama pants and t-shirts? Oh, wait, I have never really had a right mind, so that takes care of that.

Actually, I am anxious for snow. The storms all hit the mountains, snow themselves out, blow over us as gusts of wind, and become weather making monsters again about 100 miles East of here. That gets boring. It's the biggest reason I can't wait to get out of Pueblo. Not that it's a big deal, but it gets old quick. Dad might come for Thanksgiving, which would be really nice, but it would kind of be icing if we'd get some snow. On the plus side, I did get to see a few flurries from my hospital room on Wednesday morning. Literally about 3 minutes of light flurries, then all done. Still, better than nothing.

I have a sort of renewed vigor to become a nurse. Why? Because of the way we were treated. We had a wonderful nurse at night, and the charge nurse at night was beyond belief. They are what nurses should be! Beyond that? Well, I'll just say they were lacking in bedside manner. I realize they are busy, work long hours, and see a lot of people each week, but to me it isn't an option to make the patient and families feel like they're royalty. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's why I was the one assigned to brief the mass amounts of Senators, Congressmen, various military officials, etc. It's why I was always assigned to be the cashier because I made sure the customers left the store with a smile, no matter how the rest of the visit went. Among other things.

The big problem is that enough people have shown interest in the nursing field now that the idea is to weed out those who aren't the best students. They want academic nurses, people like me aren't so academic. I'm practical. But, sadly, that's not what's really wanted. So we trade practical talent and personal care for book talent and snappiness toward people. I have a few options, but it's definitely going to take me a lot, a LOT longer to get my nursing degree.

Can you tell I'm bored? I'm blabbering on about a bunch of stupid stuff. Maybe I'm entertaining someone somewhere. At least that's a little bit of usefulness. And as long as someone gets a chuckle, or at least a smile, then that's good enough for me....

4 comments:

tristanjh said...

You wish you had snow? Really? Because as I was shoveling it the other day I was wishing that I lived in Texas with Claudia.

Corbie said...

Well, after months of reading about your boundless energy (the apple doesn't fall from the tree, eh?), I am actually happy to hear that you are sitting. I mean, it took two surgeries and some major pain to get you to be half as lethargic as I am but still, forgive me for slightly enjoying a blog post titled 'boredom' coming from your neck of the woods. I kid, of course - I hope you are up and about in very short order.

Denise said...

Actually, I'm not really feeling any pain, which is part of why I'm so bored. Not having pain is usually the key to knowing one can do something....but that's not the case right now. I'm bored...

Robyn said...

As you explained Hawaii, (how lucky are for living there) I actually pictured myself on the beach, with the waves crashing, and the perfect sky, in pajama bottoms and t-shirt, and thought nothing would be more perfect right now! It's my favorite place to be. Thanks for being bored, at least it made me smile!