Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday?

I am not one who gives into the idea of rising at 2am (or earlier) to shop on the day after Thanksgiving. I have worked the day multiple times. I enjoyed getting up early, going into the store, redding up (yes, that's a word, PA people will get it) the place, and opening the doors at 4am for the insane customers who PATIENTLY waited (I emphasize the patient part because my customers actually behaved themselves. Other stores were less than lucky with that). It was a piece of my part-time job as a cashier that I actually truly enjoyed. This was a day that flew by, was never boring, and still lent me time to get my Christmas stuff up before dark.

That said, I have never entered a store or left the house on Black Friday with the purpose of spending a singe red cent. I'm not crazy enough to brave the insane crowds, and I tend to be one who is done with her shopping by September. It's just easier. There might be a little thing here and there, but the overall "stuff" is taken care of early.

So why did I leave a question mark in the title? Afterall, it IS Black Friday. Well, not for us! We received our first snowfall of the season overnight. I realize it isn't much, but it's the first we've seen. No laughing by our counterparts in the Salt Lake and Pennsylvania areas. Salt Lake always receives more, and PA? Well, that's obvious, and we all know you're being pounded this year. Complete with lake effect from Erie. Believe it, or not, I'm actually homesick for that area! Not Buffington, really, because our little house there was so awful in the winter weather (and I don't really miss the oil fuel smell or residue on the furniture), but even into Morgantown near Cheat Lake is on my mind. So, this little bit of snow is a very, very nice change of pace.

Enjoy your day, everyone. Stay safe in the crazy crowds, keep warm and snug, and keep yourselves sane! I'm off to get my Christmas stuff up now.....

3 comments:

Claudia said...

What a lovely first snowfall. I have been decorating all morning, and also am not brave enough to go out with the crowds today. Even the grocery store seems like it might be scary.

Corbie said...

We don't do Black Friday either but we do hunker in at home and decorate and get ski stuff ready (the kids start skiing this weekend!) and just enjoy that different feeling in the air - doesn't it just feel like Christmas the day after Thanksgiving? Have a happy White Friday!

tristanjh said...

How did you luck out with the patient, reasonably sane customers? I got stuck with the freakish ones carrying walkie talkies so they could converse with their shopping partners about who was getting what!

I have never risen early to shop either, though I have found that I can get plenty of good deals online on Black Friday. The shipping and handling charges are well worth my sanity.

And what is it with everyone getting their decorations up already? I figure I have a good two weeks before the kids start complaining that we are the only ones in the neighborhood without a tree and lights!