Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Explosion....

I'm not sure how many of you out in Bloggerland have heard the big news out of Pueblo this afternoon and early evening. It's pretty horrible, yet miraculous. First, and foremost, we are fine. We are approximately 10 miles West, though I know the area well and am a little emotionally shook up.
You see, about the time mom and I left for my doctor's appointment just after 2pm, a landmark restaurant in the historic district of downtown Pueblo blew up. Leveled to the ground. Is no longer in existence. I knew something was going on as we got about 20 miles up the freeway and I saw 2 different local news vans within seconds of each other heading South. I, of course, didn't know where or what (in helping mom find her way, the car radio was off), just that it was an unusual sight. It was about 2 hours later that I heard the news.
It hit me pretty hard simply because I am intimate with the area. The store across the street from the explosion is one of my favorites. I'm sure it's not completely unscathed, but the occupants and patrons are fine. Luke and I walk this part of the historic district and window shop very often. The people are fantastic. The sights are great. As much as I dislike this desert spot, I actually like Pueblo. Had I actually been in the house instead of the car, I would've been able to feel and hear the explosion. For whatever reason, this hit hard.
Now for the gritty details. There were 8 people inside. The devastating part is that one person has died. The miracle is that the other 7 are alive and seemingly alright. Not perfect, mind you, but alive. The last survivor, an elderly gentleman known as Gino, was pulled out of the rubble on live television, conscious, speaking, moving, and battered after 4 hours of waiting. Amazing!
I hope to be able to gain access within the next couple of days. I don't know if that will be feasible because of the closed streets, but I am anxious to see how the landscape there has changed once the public is again allowed on that thoroughfare. I have to drive right by to visit the museum I hope to take mom to. There is a decent slideshow on http://www.krdo.com/global/Category.asp?c=153408&image=14, and at http://www.koaa.com/external_content_wide?url=http://superviewer.koaa.com/News&title=SuperViewer, if anyone is interested.
So it's been a little bit of a difficult day, but one that is worthy of giving thanks. Appropriate for this time of year.....

1 comment:

Corbie said...

This is the first I heard of it - thanks for being my news source! So glad you guys are safe.