Thursday, August 20, 2009

Nightstalkers Don't Quit.....


(Photo from one of the SAR folks who shared it with the 14ers.com community)

Yesterday was a bad day for the United States Army and for the Colorado Mountains. A Blackhawk helicopter (MH-60) from Kentucky crashed on the second highest mountain, Mount Massive. All four crewmen have passed away.

Most people who know me also know that stories like this strike an immediate cord in my heart. This one strikes my heart for two reasons: the military connection and the mountain connection, specifically the fourteener connection.

I am glad my climb this weekend is close to home and not in the same area as my last climb. There is a lot of activity going on there with the investigation, Mt Massive is completely closed to the public right now (including the campground at the base of the mountain), and those who have plans to be in the area of Massive and Elbert have been asked to reschedule their plans and go elsewhere this weekend.

I do, however, wish I were actively serving right now. It's no secret I am biding my time and starting my talks with the recruiters to get back onto Active Reserve duty, probably in the Legal Office, and you can be sure there'd be a good chance I'd be one who was involved in the recovery and investigation process due to my security clearance (since Air Force personnel are involved). So, I'm torn.

(Massive from Elbert. Crashi is just over the crest near the summit)
(Mt Massive from below, crash is near the center of the picture about 200 feet from the summit)

One thing that people don't realize about the mountains is just how dangerous they truly are. You can never go unprepared, and you can never expect the air to remain the same. Aircraft are often brought down by the every-changing thermals, which is why the military trains there. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

This bird was part of the unit highlighted in the movie "Blackhawk Down." Yes, that really happened. Yes, it is a very tight unit. I am sure they are grieving beyond belief right now. Not just current members, but those who have been there before. Rest assured, Nightstalkers, that you are not grieving alone. May these men rest in peace, and may their families know we are a grateful nation. NSDQ!

2 comments:

tristanjh said...

You are considering active reserve duty? Wow...that is awesome :)

Denise said...

Not considering, just trying to find the right time to go back. I went from Active Reserve (IMA) to inactive during my pregnancy. I am hoping to be back active (Regular Reserve) by January. Have childcare issues to work out first. :)
I can't help it...it's my true passion, deeply embedded in my blood, and I miss the military more than anyone could possibly imagine!! My poor baby doesn't stand a chance...