Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Crossroads...

I'm anxious. I actually feel quite a bit like I did when I graduated high school: ready to conquer the world, but not sure how to go about it.
Each year I try to set some goals for myself. Sometimes I get a few done, the past few years I wasn't able to complete any other than getting my baby here safely, and this year I actually managed to complete them all plus one. Now I'm starting to make my goals for next year. I have one ready. A big one. And I'm already having problems. I need a pool, but I don't want to join a health club or the YMCA to have basically unlimited access. Why spend that kind of money when all I need is a pool? Ugh...but I'll persevere and see what I can do.
But then comes my other goal in mind. It's been there for...well, forever. I was there once, but had to back out because of a pregnancy that wasn't cake. I didn't want to risk my health, or that of my unborn baby, so I backed out. Now I'm ready to jump back in, but I need to figure out some things that I may not get help with. So I'm also frustrated.
I was never even supposed to be able to join the military because I tore my knee apart when I was a freshman in high school. In fact, my orthopedist said I'd never run again. I believed him for two years, then decided he didn't know crap about me and took charge. By the time I graduated, I was only dealing with being afraid to take the plunge. I was 19 when I just decided one day, told the recruiter exactly what I wanted, basically got it, signed my commitment, then went home and announced to my parents I had joined the Air Force. Fun thing to do when you're eating dinner! I left Valentine's Day 1996 for Basic Training, and it was the best thing I could've done. Now I'm ready to get back....only part-time as a Reservist because of family. It's all in the timing, and I feel like I'm back where I was then...
I readily admit that the goals I set are for selfish reasons. I do need to emphasize, however, that selfishness is fueled by wanting to make my little boy proud. I realize all kids are proud of their parents, but I just have a need to have him see me doing something worthwhile. I fooled around as a teenager and young adult enough.....

5 comments:

tristanjh said...

So what is the pool for?

Claudia said...

Okay, as if the mountain climbing weren't enough! Are you thinking Triathalon?

Your little man will be proud of you, no matter what!

Claudia said...

And I love the new blog header and quote!

Denise said...

spot on, Claudia!

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Your great to be setting goals and actually accomplish them, I have them set but have hit such a barrier.. I hope I can look to you as my example- you have been such a wonderful friend to me, I appreciate your kindness through the loss of my brother, I love you and appreciate you. I hope you know that.