Sunday, September 21, 2008

Is It? Or Isn't It?

As all are aware, I went back to school on the 2nd of September. Really, I started classes on the 25th of August, but actually had to start making my appearances on campus in September. Anyway, that same day was Luke's first day away from Momma and Daddy. He started daycare.

This is significant because that morning I found out that Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease was making the rounds through the kids. Yippee. Knowing that it is a childhood thing that is very contagious, I swallowed hard (harder than I already had because I despised having to leave him at all, though I know he needs the social time) and headed out. I figured he'd either get it, despite his provider's precautions, or he'd pass it by. That's just how viruses work.

So, here we are, about 3 weeks later and I am pretty sure that we have the pleasure of dealing with this illness. Luke does not have a fever, his appetite is intact, but he has a big lesion on his lip and an attitude that can only be described as extremely irritable. In fact, he is pretty well refusing to sleep unless his daddy is right by his side.

So, I am at the point of is it HFMD? Or Isn't it? I guess morning will tell. Namely, if he's still this cranky, seems to be worse, or I just don't feel right about things, I'll be calling the pediatrician before attempting to head for daycare & school. Poor guy.

Oh, I guess I should explain that this illness NOT be confused with the animal disease of Hoof and Mouth. That is only in animals. This is different, only in humans.

Rest assured I will update tomorrow. This is the sucky thing about parenthood, and I really wish I could do more when my baby is sick. For now, all I can do is hope he sleeps okay (with or without Daddy), call in the morning, and be thankful it's a late morning for us (8am wakeup vs. the 5:30am wakeup on Tuesdays and Thursdays).....

2 comments:

tristanjh said...

Knock on wood...my kid's haven't been sick this school year. Just because I wrote that, however, one or both will wake up with a hacking cough, strep throat or something equally icky. Good Luck!

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Denise-
I hope the little one does not have HFMD, it is SO awful! My oldest missed kindergarten today because of the flu: She has been puking all weekend and fevering, so sounds like were in the same boat! It is SO not fun because it is a waiting process.. Poor guy- atleast he has a great Mom to take care of him. Good Luck!