Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Wee Bobby, hit the hell out of it!"

Anyone want to take a guess what movie that line is from? Anyone? Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius.
Anyone else want to guess the significance? No? Well, unless you are aware of who Alistair Begg is, then you'd probably not have any idea why I mention this.
We spent the evening in Colorado Springs last night because of this man. You see, he is a very popular pastor...at least here in the United States. I admit that I really dislike listening to Christian radio and the people who preach on it. Jeff, however, listens to this individual on an extremely regular basis. He doesn't listen to others, just Mr. Begg.
It started primarily because Alistair Begg is Scottish and reminds Jeff of James Herriot. Now he listens to him each day while driving to work. He came home the other evening and asked what we were doing on Wednesday evening. Nothing, of course (aside from homework). He then promptly announced Mr. Begg would be in the Springs and that he was going. He knows how much I feel discomfort in the type of church this was to be held at, so he made the effort to spare me. Much to his surprise, I decided to attend with him.
So yesterday evening I met him at the plant, picked him up, and followed another to the mini-mega-church. Luke was with us, but was banished to the nursery, where he initially cried, then decided to play with the conglomeration of toys. We made our way to the sanctuary...just in time.
The first thing Alistair said was that his friends thought he must be schizophrenic because the night before he had been in the traditional formality of a Presbyterian church in South Carolina...now he was at a Calvary church in Colorado. That immediately set me at ease and told me pretty much all I needed to know, so I settled in and enjoyed the sermon. I won't detail it, but it was the most wonderful take of David and Goliath I have ever heard. And I love that story! We laughed...a lot.
Something did bother me throughout the evening, though. This man reminded me of someone, but I couldn't place it. The answer actually came during a question and answer session that immediately followed the service. I had gone to get Luke from the nursery. Not a big deal, except I was then essentially banned from the sanctuary. Jeff noticed and came to join us. It was about that time I learned who Alistair Begg is and why I recognized him.
"Wee Bobby, hit the hell out of it!"
This pastor is the same person who uttered those words in the movie. I KNEW I had seen him somewhere before! Little did I know it was in such a sense.
Moral of the story? No matter your denomination, this pastor is worth seeing and hearing. He speaks a clear message straight from the Bible. He doesn't mince words. And he loves golf so much that he allowed himself to play an offbeat individual in a movie about the greatest player of the game ever....

No comments: