Saturday, August 16, 2008

8 For 8....Congratulations, Michael!!



I'm sure by now that everyone in the world is well aware of the great feat Michael Phelps just managed. He is now recognized as the greatest swimmer in the world, winning 8 gold medals in one Olympic Games. He totals 16 medals, 14 of which are gold. Wow....just wow.


His journey in Beijing is over, and I'm sure he's glad to be done. There are a few things that will stand out in his quest for me:

First and foremost, his mother's unwavering support and tears of joy. I've always been a sap, but since becoming a parent...oh boy. I see another parent with this kind of reaction and just grab the Kleenex. It is so cool to see her not miss any moment, and to be just full of pride. And let's not forget his sisters, too!

Second, the 4x100 Free relay. The way the team came back (as in Jason Lezak) and won. I shot up and yelled, scared the cat, and made Luke laugh. What a race, and what a great thing to shut down the talk from the French team.

Lastly, the 100m Butterfly from last night. Oh. My. Goodness!!! I don't think I've EVER seen a race so close....in any sport! Literally a fingernail. It's one that doesn't get old to watch, either.

Just last weekend when Jeff made me a 14'er widow (I'm still a little torqued that I had to stay home, but such is life), he told his hiking buddy about how amazing Michael is. The buddy isn't a big sports or TV watcher, despite being the most athletic and active person we know. I'm anxious to hear the reaction he has to this news!

It's almost a disappointment that we won't be seeing Michael Phelps compete in these Games any longer. Some are a little happy, however, because it means getting to bed before midnight will again be possible (others of us are hopelessly addicted to the Games....always have been, always will be).

Thank you, Michael, for giving us such great, great ride. Thank you for being such a great representative for our country. Thank you for persevering as an athlete. Thank you for the excitement.


And congratulations. You deserve this like nobody else...

2 comments:

Corbie said...

AMAZING, huh?!! I am excited the 8 gold medal race is over...my blood pressure couldn't take any more!

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Loved, Loved, Loved the Michael Phelps! I have anxiety as it is and I was just a screaming.. What technique and skills this man has and has had to overcome, from what his mom said about his ADHD! I feel for him in that area, when I was diagnosed (not until 3rd grade), and then in resource I felt like the biggest loser. Now as I anticipate my child starting kindergarten I feel the anxiety of elementary all over again.. I wanted to also tell you thanks for your comment on my post of 10 things: I think I am waiting for my mental breakdown, I have had the anxiety/panic attacks but just talk myself out of them. THIS is HARD as you know yourself for what you have been through! Your a great Mom and I see how much you love your little boy- what a blessing it is that we have them, someday I hope to understand more.
Take care and thanks again!