Thursday, August 7, 2008

Confirmation....

I received an email back this morning on the cold air funnel. Yay! I figured something out all by myself! :)

Denise,

Looks like a cold air funnel. notice the circular area of clearing? That usually happens as cold air descends. Not part of tornado production and they actually happen quite a bit. What part of town was it? Thanks for sending it in!

For what it's worth, we were hammered by a severe thunderstorm yesterday. My rain gauge is now fired because it hasn't measured correctly in the past three showers (all this week!). In fact, it was dry. Yesterday's initial downpour, followed by a nice shower that lasted a few hours SHOULD have deposited something other than dust. So, I fired the gauge and will locate a better one today. Anyway, the storm yesterday produced lightning like I've never seen here before. We usually get quite a light show, but yesterday the sky didn't stop rumbling and banging for over an hour! My poor dog was beside himself barking. He doesn't get scared by it (save for one moment yesterday, but he wasn't alone), just barks at the thunder. He's done that since he was a puppy. It does get a little old, but it's expected. The lightning was the "Hand of God," type. All forked in multiple ways, and sparking more bolts from the forks.

There was a moment when I thought the house had been hit (hence the dog hiding, and me desperately staying calm so the toddler wouldn't completely melt. He was a trooper!). It was that bright, blinding light and simultaneous explosion of sound. My initial thought was that the house blew up! Then I realized my head was tingling and the TV was making a sizzling sound (it was off). Luke was holding the top of his head, so I think he must've been tingling, too. I did a quick check in the house. The only "evidence" was the cooler, fish tank light and filter in Luke's room, hall light, and hall outlet (opposite side of the wall from the tank) were all out. Easy fix, thankfully, by resetting the breaker.

When I was convinced I wouldn't immediately die from being struck the moment I stepped outside, I ran out and checked the exterior. It was fine. I did a cursory check of the yard. It was fine. I already knew the tree was fine. A later check revealed the utility trailer was also fine. I don't know where it hit, but it was right here....I still need to venture to the easement behind the house. I won't be surprised to find some evidence there. In short, it was a loud and slightly exciting afternoon!

Before all of this planted itself over the house, Luke and I sat in the guest bedroom and watched it move across. We chose that location because it has the best view toward the direction this storm was moving from. Truly, it was a spectacular show. Guess what I witnessed waaaaay up in the sky? Another funnel! I don't think it was cold air because of how it acted, but it was also so far up that it would've been blown apart before it could ever reach the ground. Well, that, and the fact it was little and grew out sideways instead of down, but definitely a funnel. I can't believe how often they form around here.

Today it feels like fall. It's a little bizarre! August 7th and I'm in a sweatshirt. All the ceiling fans are off, the swamp cooler is off (the common a/c around here. Very few actually have central...though we hope to put a system in), and the blower is off. The windows are open, but it's cool! Yesterday was another 100 degree day (which, by the way, was down already from the 105 degrees we've been reaching daily), today we'll be lucky to hit 75. Not to worry, though. Tomorrow should be back into the 90's, Saturday should be back above 100.

As much as I dislike the length and severe chill of winter, I do hope this is preview of what's to come. We've been so dry, a cold, very snowy winter would be beneficial. For now, I'm going to enjoy my reprieve from running up the water and electric bills from our efforts to keep the grass alive and the house a somewhat tolerable temperature.....

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Great job on the funnel cloud. I love to watch storms! I can't believe you are wearing a sweatshirt - it is so hot here. I just got the latest power bill, and have decided that we can all live a few degrees warmer!