Tuesday, August 5, 2008

For The Weather Dorks...

The title says it all. I fall into this category. I have sent the pictures to a couple of local meteorologists in hopes of finding out if this is, indeed, a cold air funnel.

I have spoken before of the surprising amount of funnel clouds and tornadoes we have here in the Eastern half of Colorado. We're the start of "Tornado Alley," and we're the literal start of the plains. I guess the clouds like that. Anyway, I have often heard of the harmless phenomenon of cold air funnel clouds, but I don't think I've seen any before. Funnels from severe storms, tornadoes, water spouts (which are extremely common in Hawaii and I used to watch form over the ocean from my barracks room balcony), dust devils of every size? Sure! But none of the former.

Then came yesterday evening. I was working on emptying Luke's wading pool. Usually this is not a big deal since there's only a couple of inches of water in it....just lift and dump. Well, I filled it on Sunday after church, and I forgot the water was on while Luke slept and I started on the fish tank. The pool was over flowing. Whoops. Oh well...I can use that water instead of the hose to water plants. Except dry thunderstorms moved into the area and I couldn't get out that evening to empty the thing....so one more day and then the dump yesterday evening.

The sky was cloudy and I knew thunderstorms had been forming in the area, so I was watching the sky to be sure I didn't get zapped while playing with the water. This one white streak between two cloud banks caught my eye. At first glance it appeared to be a well-placed contrail, but a closer look showed it was too wide, swaying from side-to-side, and spinning. It was a little funnel cloud!

Dork that I am, I dashed in the house to grab the camera. This took all of about 20-30 seconds. By then, the funnel was starting to dissipate. I did manage to snap a few photos, though.

I went back to work, then looked up a few moments later. The funnel was gone.

I know this is silly. I truly do dork out when it comes to weather. There is something about a funnel and some tornadoes that really is pretty (when they're not destructive beasts coming to devour you). This thing, however, seemed to have that angelic music surrounding it as it danced in the sky. It was quite an elegant creation! One that I hope other people who dork out to weather phenomenons will appreciate.....

1 comment:

Claudia said...

We might be twins separated at birth. I am the queen of weather nerds. I keep obsessively checking the path of Eduoard, hoping to at least get a significant breeze and a few sprinkles. I've only seen one tornado - weirdly enough, the one in SLC a few years ago, but there are plenty around here, so we get some monster storms. I like your funnel cloud, and I believe it is a funnel cloud, no matter what the meteorologists may or may not say!