Tuesday, August 19, 2008

FINALLY!!!

Finally! Shawn Johnson gets her due! Don't get me wrong, the emotional ball of sap that I am, I bawled my eyes out when Nastia Liuken won the all-around gold the other night. I couldn't have been more proud for her. But through the remainder of the competition series, Shawn was losing out.

Again, those two silver and one bronze medals Shawn gathered are nothing to sneeze at. But it was painfully obvious this 4 foot 9 inch powerhouse was being punished for being built muscular instead of gracefully long. How else does one explain near perfection being bumped to below those who had hugely obvious faults in their routines? Trust me, the friends and acquaintances I have throughout the world are just as puzzled over this weeks results in gymnastics.

But tonight? Tonight was golden! Well, really it was this morning for us and LAST night for Shawn, but we'll go with the televised date. It was the individual apparatus of the beam. When I was a gymnast a million years ago, I loved this apparatus. I just thoroughly sucked. But I still appreciate the skill and athleticism involved.

Both Shawn and Nastia saw the open door due to the big mistakes of those who were before them. Both did multiple routines in warm up. Shawn had difficulty, Nastia had no problem. Rattle the nerves! Actually, you could see the fatigue on poor Shawn's face. She worried me a bit.

Silly me, I need not have worried! Shawn hit her routine dead on! One little step in her dismount, but she soared to the lead! Envision the fist pumps as I struggled to not wake the entire house.




Then came Nastia. I kept thinking "wow, she's doing such a beautiful job. Dang...I don't want her to mess up, she's so good, but it's Shawn's turn." Indeed, Nastia did not mess up. She hit her routine and was the graceful beauty she always is. Oh, the nerves! It was hard to wait for her score. When it was posted and Shawn remained in the gold position, I nearly lost it. It's about danged time!

I didn't have the kleenex near me, but I should have. When Shawn's parents were shown, and her mom broke down, so did I. Aren't I a dork?

But it was so incredible to see Shawn finally get the reward she has so deserved. She calls herself a daredevil with a big smile. She certainly has herself pegged! That great, albeit big smile was glorious to see in conjunction to this medal winning performance. A tight check during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner, then the smile was back in force.


Congratulations, Shawn! It is about time those judges gave you what you've deserved for a long time!

8 comments:

tristanjh said...

Denise,

I read your post a few days ago about how you have been emotional about these Olympic Games. I actually thought of you last night as I sat on my couch with tears streaming down my face and Steve's voice in the background commentating on the perfection of each play back. It's about freakin' time!

While I am thrilled that Shawn and Nastia have done so well, I can't help, but think of Alicia Sacramone and the judging issues that have been present throughout these games, at least in gymnastics. I really hope that something good will come of it and the judging system will be further modified to lessen the ability of judges to act in collusion or accept bribes. The International Figure Skating Union had to do the very same thing after the 2002 fiasco in the pairs division of the Salt Lake Olympics. While there is still room for improvement, tremendous strides have been taken and it has really helped to eliminate the subjectiveness of the sport to as much a degree as that is possible.

Thank you for doing such a bangup job on this post...can I just link my blog to it?

Denise said...

sure you can link it! You make me laugh.
I know what you mean about Alicia Sacramone. To quote Bella, she was ripped off! My heart breaks for her.
I don't like this new scoring system. Granted, I have no say in it, but I still don't like it. It would be great if it was further modified and made a little easier to understand. Unfortunately, I think that any sport that has human judges will always be subject to the issues we've seen here. Not just gymnastics, but dressage has a huge controversy because of scoring, as well.
But it's beena thrill ride!

tristanjh said...

In my fairly uneducated opinion, the new scoring system makes a lot of sense to me. It is very similar to the system adopted for figure skating and, in my opinion, does a lot better job of rewarding gymnasts for 'all of their abilities' not just a good artist or a good tumbler. Unfortunately, this was an incredibly poor display of how well it works. The figure skating system also inserted many checks and balances meant to eliminate extreme point differences from one judge to the next. Each judge is personally responsible to explain his or her ruling and if his/her scores are consistently out of line there are repercussions. Further, the panel is blind. Meaning there might be 10 or 12 judges, but only 8 scores count. And no one, not even the judges know whose scores count. This makes it hard for countries to work together and for bribary to run rampant. There is still room for improvement, but it is light years ahead of the previous system.

Denise said...

Thanks! That make more sense. It's still a little screwy, in that I have a hard time getting used to not seeing the 10-point system we've all been so used to, but it does make sense.
Though I thoroughly disagree with the fact they can watch instant replay.

tristanjh said...

Why do you disagree with instant replay? From their vantage point it is hard to see everything, good or bad. It seems a shame to either not give credit where it is due or to not deduct when there should be a deduction if there is the technology available to view from all angles.

Denise said...

Because judging has always been an "in the moment" objective. If they're going back and reviewing in slow motion, then it's no longer in the moment. Sure, they need to be rewarded and have points taken where due, but if it takes a judge watching a slow motion instant replay, then maybe that person shouldn't be judging.

Just my feelings :)

tristanjh said...

I may be way off here, but I had a thought. The judges could be placed more strategically around the various apparati for that 'in the moment' judging, but it would interfere with cameras that televise the event. I'd be willing to bet that plays into it somehow.

Corbie said...

I agree Denise, it should be an 'in the moment' thing for me too. I appreciate the other argument and they may even have a stronger case but I am just old-school this way, I guess.