Friday, August 8, 2008

Let The Games Begin....

Did anyone else take the time to watch the opening ceremonies of the Games of the 29th (XXIX) Olympiad? WOW!!! I have long been fascinated with the Chinese culture, despite the very bad experience with the authentic food that eventually put me into kidney failure. I don't know a whole lot, but what little I do just makes me yearn to learn more. So I've been waiting for this night with bated breath, moreso than usual, just to enjoy more of what the Chinese have decided to share.

I admit that I haven't seen all that many in my lifetime, relatively speaking. My family has always watched with great interest, admiration, and support, but my 32 years make the amount I've watched a relatively small number. Still, the display made tonight was absolutely amazing!

My favorite part was the Tai Chi masters in their choreographed demonstration. My boss in North Carolina holds a double black belt in karate and is a diligent student of Tai Chi. I think that's part of what makes his insanely crazy veterinary clinic a place that the animals do actually relax in. Even during the highest moments of stress, Dr. Chris exuded such a centered aura that even the most distressed owners quickly calmed down. Before he would enter any room to examine a pet, before he would perform any surgical procedure, before he would start the day, and even at certain times when he just felt he needed to, he would prepare himself with a little of this art. Pretty amazing. So when it was described that this particular demonstration was, indeed, a big example of how important Tai Chi is the the Chinese people, I took note. But it was way beyond anything I could have expected. It took my breath away.

As the night went on we enjoyed all the things the Chinese people so graciously showed the world. Even Luke got excited, chattering over certain parts and running to the TV to point something out to us. He clapped and cheered for the United States athletes. He wiped my tears when the story of the 9-year old boy who walked beside Yao Ming was told as the Chinese athletes entered.

For those who missed it, this little boy,Lin Hao, is just incredible. He was one of the school children who were trapped. He lost 20 of his 30 classmates. He dug himself out, then turned around and helped dig out 2 of his fellow students. They all survived. He stayed around to help as much as he could. When asked why he did it, his response was "I am the best leader and the hall monitor. It was my responsibility." He is now a national hero. Yup, I'm a wuss. I cried. But it was cute to see this little boy next to 7'6" Ming. He looked about Luke's age.

The commentators kept noting that nobody knew what to expect for the cauldron lighting. Only those who were hands-on involved had a clue. The cauldron, itself, actually didn't show up until about 30 minutes before the closing of the ceremonies! It was air lifted into place above everyone's heads. Oh my....what a lighting! What a moment for the former Olympian and gold medal winner who was chosen to light the cauldron! Lifted off the ground and moved around the arena in a manner that made it appear he was running along a script opening up along the rim. The pictures appearing behind him were of the torch's journey from Greece to Beijing. When the time came, the flame spiraled up to the top of the cauldron, fireworks galore went off, and it was just beautiful.

By the time we were able to watch those ceremonies here, the competition had already begun. I did see a couple of the dressage tests in the eventing via live stream, and the horses looked very relaxed, supple, and obedient. It was nice. I can tell you that the United States team is currently sitting in 2nd place, our highest individual rider is sitting in 5th. They face a difficult cross country portion "tomorrow," (which, of course, will be our Saturday evening) followed by the stadium jumping phase on our Sunday, their Monday. Anything can happen in that time.

I won't give spoilers, but I do wish to congratulate those who have already received their medals in their given sports. Good luck to the other competitors, and have fun watching!

1 comment:

Corbie said...

I was stuck in a Coke wagon selling soft pretzels and Sprite to little kids...I am so bummed I missed it. I am making up for lost time though by watching every obscure country and sport I can find on TV.