Monday, August 4, 2008

Get Well Soon...

I'm sure that by now most everyone has heard of Morgan Freeman's car accident and subsequent hospitalization. It appears he made a mistake and, quite frankly, is lucky to be alive, but I'm sure he's also quite aware of that. What a guy to be able to joke with his rescuers and bystanders as he was extracted from the vehicle!

Why am I mentioning this? Well, I've always like Morgan Freeman as an actor. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about him in the news (which is not the same for how many other celebrities?), so he has my respect. And I'm pretty angry about this accident.

I'm not angry because he wrecked. I'm not angry that he appears to have fallen asleep at the wheel in the late hours of the night. I am not angry over his injuries and hospitalization. What I am angry about is that bystanders stopped to watch AND TAKE PICTURES!!! Good grief, folks! Has our society stooped so low that cell phone cameras pop out at the first sign of a celebrity, no matter the predicament they are in?

I can't even fathom what Mr. Freeman or EMS crews were thinking. He handled it with such grace that I respect him even more. Still, I don't care who the person is, or how famous they may be. They deserve some privacy, especially in matters such as this. At any rate, get well soon, Morgan Freeman....

2 comments:

Corbie said...

Totally agreed. I heard someone on the radio talking about this very thing this morning and I thought of you.

Plus, on a lighter note, I think I deserve the same privacy. Like when I am at a concert and my face is looking particularly gynormous, I don't think people should take photos of me from weird angles, right? What is wrong with people these days!

Okay, I am totally kidding...I love Morgan Freeman like I love sushi. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

hugs,
Corb

tristanjh said...

I have loved Morgan for quite a while. 'Shawshank Redemption' is one of my all time favorite movies. He should have gotten an Oscar long before he did.

The phone thing is rapidly becoming a scary part of our culture. Rather than act, everyone is eager to document any and every noteworthy situation so they can either sell their footage or post it on the internet. Not like I have a lot of room to talk. Twice now I have made Steve circle the Walmart parking lot so I could snap a pic of a funny vanity plate to send to a certain friend of mine. He thinks I need to seek professional help.