Thursday, August 28, 2008

Are you ready?

This will be short because I should be doing homework, but I had to take a moment to ask this question.

I also realize it is early, but the changes are already taking place. Are you ready for winter?

Yes, I know some of you are probably scratching your heads and wondering if I've flipped my lid. Those are the ones living in Texas, Florida....places that are still very much feeling summer. The rest of us living in Colorado, Utah, even Virginia are very much starting our winter preparations. Not even September, and we're starting to winterize our homes, yards, and vehicles. It is amazing.

There are those who are still wondering, so let me explain.

It was about 2 weeks ago that I noticed the ponies were already starting to shed their summer coats. I don't mean a hair here and there, I mean I was pulling out hair like they hadn't been groomed in months! That was the first clue. Driving home that day was also when I first spotted a surprising amount of trees in the area starting to change color. Crazy!

Granted, this was also just before the hefty cold front that dropped up to 6 inches of snow in the mountains came through, but it was a clue. The air has had a hint of fall in it, and my body was saying "get the mulch, get the winter kit into the car, get the blankets on the bed, and get the down comforter cleaned now." Knowing that it was still just the middle of August, I ignored those calls.

Now I am starting to clamor. The Aspen (Quakies) are really getting yellow....at a mile in elevation (for those unaware, Denver is a mile high at 5280 ft, Pueblo is just behind at 5273 ft. It's prettier there and they get more snow, but all other weather is exactly the same...temps included). I noticed yesterday that my cottonwood is yellowing up at the top, and there are now countless trees in the neighborhood changing to whatever color they're supposed to. The apple trees are shedding fruit...that normally doesn't happen around here until late September! I even already have 5 pumpkins that are ripe! The air no longer has that hint, it has the distinct feel and smell of fall. I haven't taken a decent look at the mountains, but I'm sure they're spotted with gold now.

According to my brother, who is lucky to live in Virginia, the trees there are also turning at a very fast clip. They are also seeing, feeling, and smelling other differences. I haven't asked about woolly worms, though...

What does all of this mean? Winter is coming early, it is going to be VERY cold, and it is planning on being wicked. At least at the early onset. Given that this weekend is the unofficial "End of Summer," I felt it was appropriate to talk about this. Even the meteorologists have stated that snow will be early, and it will be abundant. So, are you ready?

I'm not, but I'm ready to start the preparations. Albeit, begrudgingly.....

5 comments:

tristanjh said...

I asked Steve to buy me a snow-blower for my birthday if that is any indication...

Denise said...

LOL! That has got to be one of the BEST comments I have ever read! I love it!

tristanjh said...

It was a serious request...a couple of years ago my mom bought me a combo leaf blower/vacuum. To this day I consider it to be one of the best gifts ever.

Denise said...

don't feel bad. I have actually asked for a blender, waffle iron, and electric skillet before. I had to buy the blender after my old one died (and I needed it to make Luke's baby food), but am still waiting on the other two. Yes, they are serious requests.
I guess we're just weird.

Corbie said...

I spent the last two days buying ski equipment for my kids - even Ryan gets started this year. So, unfortunately, I too have surrendered to the reality that winter is coming all too quickly.

Thanks for the reminder :)