Sunday, July 6, 2008

Baby, Baby, Baby!

Finally! The moment I've been waiting for since mid-March! Fair warning, babies are sometimes difficult to photograph because they want to "help" you with the task.
It shouldn't have been quite that long of a wait, but the dates given for Mayb's breeding were wrong, so the wait was long. Turns out she was actually due mid-June. I joked that she'd foal while I was in the Black Hills...silly mare, she listened.
So, a cute and very big chestnut colt was born. He was kind of a surprise as mom didn't show labor signs and snuck a pasture foaling in. He's a pony, but he's got big bones and decent size to him...and he's a smart little bugger! He has the presence of his warmblood mom, but the braveness of his dad. It's a good combination and tells me what similarities I'd see if my own mare were bred (Maybs reminds me so very much of the Dustbuster). Being a boy, he's also very rough and rowdy. It cracks me up. He acts like my human baby!


Sandia was next to foal. She's a big Oldenburg mare visiting from out-of-state. She had gotten sick, came to one of the best clinics for horses around, and has ended up with the ponies for a while. She was bred to a European stallion and imported, so we knew this was going to be a nice baby. And she really is. A dark bay or black filly with long legs and a personality that just won't quit. She reminds me of her mom, whom I adore. She'll be a star in the ring.
Sorry, momma enjoyed a mud roll and the barn hadn't yet been cleaned.

Finally, Snappy was due. I've been dying to see this foal and wish I were in a position to have bought it in-utero because Snap is a very nice mare and the stallion is on-site. He's just the coolest and I love him. Even my mom exclaimed "this is a STALLION???" He's just so gentle, kind, and loveable. He's the one Luke runs to for pets and treats. So not only did this baby stand to be extremely fancy, it was going to be one with a great disposition. She certainly has exhibited all that was hoped for! This dainty grey filly was born July 1. She is extraordinary! Incredibly fancy, moves amazingly well, has a great disposition, and is very determined that the world revolves around only her. It's all on her terms. What a doll!





Watching these babies grow and getting the chance to work with them is going to be fantastic. I can't wait to see what they become.....

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Alita really enjoyed all the pictures. They are all so beautiful.