Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why You Shouldn't Race A Train...

This will be fairly short because I am tired and would like to go to sleep, but I have to get it down.

Luke and I ventured to La Junta today to visit an old trading post fort. On the way there we witnessed a sight that I still can't believe. There was a white pickup who turned off the highway to head down a street. In order to head down the side street one has to cross railroad tracks. It was one of those moments where you say "am I really seeing this??"

It's not anything out of the ordinary for a vehicle to turn off a main road and cross railroad tracks to get to their destination. It IS out of the ordinary to see a vehicle turn off and head to cross the tracks when a train is coming at them.

This particular train was only the engine and 3 cars, and it was only going what I'd estimate about 20 mph. No big deal. Yet think about the size of those things and the fact they don't stop on a dime. The weight of them means it takes some distance at any speed. So....

The truck never even slowed down. In fact, I think he sped up a bit! It was a moment where I said out loud "am I seeing this? Is this guy really going to try to outrun that train? Holy crap, what is he doing?? There he goes, he's going, oh no, he's going...uh oh...oh, I almost can't look...." (insert the literal thing of watching a trainwreck happen...you can't take your eyes away).

Then it happened...

BAM!!!!!!

The train hit the truck, the truck slid about 10 feet, then rolled....and rolled....and finally came to a stop next to the highway a good distance from where it began. The train? I think the engineer actually was thinking the same thing I was before hitting the truck because he was already on his brakes, and, yes, they screech. It still took about 1/4 mile before he was stopped.

I was so shocked that I actually let out an "OH S...!!!!!" I was even so surprised at what I was seeing that I didn't shreek. It was surreal! In this particular instance, I think the expletive can be forgiven.

This is a major highway so there was plenty of traffic. I wasn't in a place I could stop, but there were those in both directions who were. We had all already slowed WAY down. I also didn't have a good spot to turn around, so I had to wait a bit. When I did, I saw there were more than enough people on scene, including the first emergency service and law enforcement personnel, so we turned back around and headed East again. I didn't know how the driver was, but I also knew dwelling on it wouldn't help anyone.

When our daytrip concluded, we headed West for home. This was my opportunity to take a couple of pictures with my phone. I apologize for the poor quality....there's only so much on can do from a (very slowly) moving vehicle and a cell phone. But it gives an idea.





I was able to gain the information via news on the radio that the driver died. He was ejected when the truck rolled. The 10pm local news stated there was a passenger who was also ejected and died. Neither were wearing seatbelts. A double lesson here.

So, it is off to bed for me where my mind will continue to reel from what it saw today. Never in my wildest dreams did I figure I would see a train-car collision on anything other than news footage or a movie. It is something I actually hope others don't have to witness, either.....

3 comments:

Claudia said...

I can't believe you actually witnessed a train wreck. How totally random and frightening. Tell Luke that story a thousand times when he turns 15 1/2.

Denise said...

That's a great way to get the point across! I was laying in bed last night wondering how...thanks, Claudia!

Jenn said...

OH MY. I'm in shock still by just reading this. How crazy to have seen it in person. It is so sad to think two people lost there lives because they wouldn't wait for a few min. I'll think twice before I start to complain about waiting for a train again.