Friday, July 11, 2008

Spotlight...

My dad has become a celebrity! Alright, not really, but he did catch a little attention. My mom called me last night and told me to watch Fox 13's story on the newly formed neighborhood watch in the neighborhood I spent my entire childhood. I knew it had been done, but I guess someone was impressed by the persistence of the residents.
When my parents arrived home from their visit with us they had learned of some very serious burglaries in a number of the houses in the neighborhood. They had some ridiculous amount of messages on the answering machine. Dad, a brand-new retiree from protecting our country (retired from the Air Force Reserves in 2002, now retired from the Civil Service portion of the military), stepped right up. He patrols daily.

Yesterday a news crew from the Fox affiliate in Salt Lake ventured out to interview my dad and another classmate's father. Dave is actually the one who formed the current watch, dad just does the most patrols. I had to giggle at just how serious my father was, however. Don't get me wrong, when my dad is mad (I mean REALLY mad), he's the scariest dude in the world. When he's on a job, he's extremely serious. But he's still my goofy, fun-loving, forever-young dad. So to see him a little torqued and letting the perpetrators know he's not happy about it was kind of funny to me. I had flashbacks of my brathood! But I'm extremely proud of what he is doing.

I did receive a couple of emails from a few readers asking about him. Yes, indeed, you witnessed my dad becoming famous.

Luke and I will be pulling out in about 2 hours for our camping trip. I'm just trying to finish up some watering and last minute packing. I made a quick run to Wally-world yesterday (have I ever mentioned how much I dislike that place??) to grab the chili-fixins I somehow missed. I ran into a couple of neighbors, too. What's so big about that? My 20-minute trip turned into over an hour. No big deal, Luke had a fantastic nap. I snapped a picture with my Blackberry after I tossed the bag into the 4Runner. Needless to say, he impressed a large number of people with just how well he sleeps.


Have a great weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Yeah for your dad for keeping the old neighborhood safe. I just emailed the link to my parents - I can probably badger them into helping...