Sunday, July 27, 2008

Leadline Champion!

My Little Man made his horse show debut yesterday afternoon. It was completely ridiculous how nervous I was, especially given the fact I don't get nervous when I show and knew I was going to be in the ring with him, handling the pony. I couldn't eat yesterday. I was a little wired. I was also excited. Luke? Well, he knew something big was going on and that he was going to ride a pony, but was otherwise his gloriously goofy self. It made things so much easier on me.

I ran around throughout the morning making sure his saddle pad was clean, saddle was wiped off & ready, cleaning his boots, getting his show clothes together, packing a lunch, and loading the car. I also had to figure out what I was going to wear. That was the most difficult part! I'm just used to just throwing on some jeans and a t-shirt for grooming while packing breeches, boots, show shirt, and jacket for later. This time? Well, the jeans and t-shirt were already on, but I had to figure out what to wear for handling. A specific request that handlers were not "too casual" was put out, so jeans were out for me.

After everything was packed we grabbed a quick snack, then hopped into the car and took off for Parker. Luke had a wonderful nap on the way up, which I was banking on. I knew it was going to be a late night for him. It was the usual uneventful drive up, albeit one I always enjoy because it's pretty. 90 minutes later we pulled in, grabbed our stuff, and made the trek to the stabling area.

I was greeted with the news the pony Luke was to be riding had to be taken home. Oh no!! Not to worry, they were already working to find him another one. It was probably 20 minutes later when, in a total twist of fate, around the corner walked an already braided bay roan Welsh pony. I say it was a total twist of fate because I knew this pony! His name is Rollingwoods Twist Of Fate (a.k.a. "Twist") and was sold to his current owner by my dear friend who lets us play with the ponies down here. I couldn't believe it! So, it was time to get moving.

I proceeded to unwrap his legs, brush him off, and get him tacked up. Good thing I brought my own girth because Twist's was too short with Luke's saddle. Once that was done, I got Luke dressed. The good little boy stood by quietly and kept himself clean while I changed my clothes, threw some ear plugs in the pony's ears, and put the bridle on. We were all set! Our new little friend, Kadence, was also set, so they piled into the golf cart with all the other adults and made off for the Grand Prix ring while Claire and I brought the boy's mounts.



Luke caught on quickly. He saw the other kids already on their horses and ponies by the time I made it to the in-gate. He came barreling over to be, grabbed the flap of his saddle, and said "Up! Up! Up!" I patiently told him he had to wait a moment while I put his helmet on. I am proud to say that he was wearing MY show helmet because he has a big head....or maybe mine is small, I don't know. But I took the padding out of his helmet and put it in mine for the day (I was still able to put the helmet comfortably on my head....yikes!). Once his head was secure, I threw him up into the saddle and put his gloves on. He was the only youngster to wear gloves, and the judge did later comment on that. When I knew we were set, we started walking around the warm-up ring while waiting for our class. Little pointers from Mama set the stage, the last "kid jumper" left the Grand Prix ring, and our class was called.
waiting for our classpointing out the braids
watching the goings on
Our friend Kadence on his jumper
I was helping Luke sit up by telling him to pull on his grab strap. He was exaggerating it and ended up leaning back, but I figured it was fine. He was still doing this when we entered the ring, but he took one look at the very large crowd and sat like a perfect equitation star. I pointed out the photographer to him, he still saw the crowd and decided to start waving. This, of course, brought me and all of the spectators to laughter. Luke hears this and starts CLAPPING! What a ham! I told him he needed to keep hold of his strap (he's not figured out the reins, yet), which he promptly did. He wasn't done showing off, though.

The photographer gave Luke the nickname of "Mini Richard Spooner." Richard is an international level Grand Prix rider. He's tall, thin, and very blonde. He also quite often rides his courses without his stirrups. This is how Luke gained the nickname. He's tall (for 2), thin (vs. thick), and very blonde. He also decided to ride his class without stirrups. He kicked his feet out of his irons and played it up.

The judged lined everyone up and started his obligatory time speaking to each contestant. At this time, Luke reached down to pat Twist on the neck, looked at the crowd said "YAY!" and started clapping. When his turn came, Luke told the judge his name, his pony's name, and thanks. The judge, as previously mentioned, thanked me for putting gloves on him, gave Twist a pat on the nose, turned to the crowd and threw his hands in the air. This signaled that he "couldn't decide" and that all the children won the class. (Staged, of course, but part of the fun) As the blue ribbons were being handed out the announcer was giving a special mention for each child. Lucas, the crowd was told, lives in Pueblo West, had just turned 2, and was competing his his very first horse show on a pony named "Honeybear." The pony was wrong, of course, but that's what happens when you have to switch mounts at the last minute.
We then exited the ring and went back to the barn to let the pony and horse retire for the night. I took Luke's jacket, tie, and gloves off, then we all piled back into and onto the golf cart to head back to the ring to watch the Grand Prix. Luke & Kadence played and played and played. I enjoyed adult conversation and a very nice view of the class (MUCH bigger and more competitive than last year), and we all enjoyed a bite to eat. It ended up being 9pm before we pulled out, but it was worth it.

The drive home I knew to look for deer. It was dark, this is wildlife country, and I wasn't on the freeway. It's a good thing I was aware! I spotted something in the road, had just formed the thought "is that a bison or an elk?" when I saw movement to the left. I thought it could be a bison because there's a ranch right in that area and you never know when fences can go down. Nope, it was elk. A nice herd of them. I stopped and started honking. If you've never seen elk scatter like scared bunnies, I recommend it. Even in the dark it was kind of funny. That was the only excitement, thank goodness.

Luke conked out as soon as we got home and I climbed into bed. We had a great time, Luke got up this morning and refuses to take his boots off. He's proudly carried his ribbon & prize all over the house, and is just enjoying himself. I think it's safe to say he not only enjoys riding, but now realizes he loves the limelight. I'm just proud of him and glad we've had the chance to make these memories....

7 comments:

Corbie said...

What an adorable story...how cute to get him started this young. He looks darling in his outfit and little ('big') hat. :)

tristanjh said...

He looks so cute! What a good experience for him!

speedbump said...

He certainly comes by his love honestly. Sounds just like his mother!!

Robyn said...

First of all Denise, Luke really does have the BEST name! He is such a handsome boy and sounds like a hilarious little boy as well! Looks like you are doing such a good job with him. I'm sure my Luke wishes he had a mom like you, he can not get enough of horses, and everytime we see one he wants to get on it! Too bad I'm afraid of them!

Jenn said...

Denise he looks so adorable in those clothes. He is a natural horse lover. As for the helmet, I'm also always wearing my childrens hats. I always thought it was becasue my head was small. I like your thinking better, the kids just have a big head!

Denise said...

He does sound just like me, huh? Poor kid didn't stand a chance with the horses...good thing he likes them! At least for now.

Claudia said...

So much fun! He looks absolutely adorable!