Saturday, May 3, 2008

BIG Progress!

Parents are funny creatures in that they are easily excited over the tiniest of things. It's understandable, though, since it's absolutely fascinating to watch your baby learning to do new things. There are times, however, that the parent thinks on it later and has to laugh at themselves.

That would be where I am tonight.

I started working to get Luke potty trained about a month ago. Nothing terribly serious, yet, since he's still pretty young. And a boy. He has a grand time going in and sitting on his potty chair whenever the chance arises. He's never even put up much of a fuss when I've had him sit there with purpose. He's never done anything in it. He waits to have his pants pulled back up before he lets fly. It's always given me an inward laugh because it's clear that he not only has the control, but the right idea. It's the timing that's all off.

Tonight I managed to catch him before he actually emptied his bladder after our shower. He has somehow gotten into the habit of climbing up onto the toilet, lid closed, to get the relief. I imagine he's seen what is supposed to happen, just never realized standing on the lid isn't how it works. I somehow recognized this tonight and took him to his potty chair. He sat right down and got to business!

Finally! My boy has figured out that he CAN do something while on his chair and doesn't have to wait for his pants to be up around his waist! After a big round of claps and cheers, accompanied by his giggles and squeals, we cleaned up, got dressed, and he's happily snoring away. I've giggled over the reaction a few times, but what a fantastic way to end a bittersweet evening.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

YEAH LUKE!!!
The same thing happens at our home. We always have to have a party everytime anyone uses the potty. We even have a potty song we sing. It goes like this.
Lukie went pee pee in the potty.
Lukie went pee pee in the potty.
Lukie went pee pee in the potty.
Hip Hip Hip Hip HOORAY!!

I can't even think what the original tune is because I've sung it this way to many time.