Monday, May 12, 2008

World Disasters.....

It's days like today that I wish I had trained my dog as a Search and Rescue dog. I didn't even think about it when he came to me. It actually only came to mind after September 11, and he was still young enough. The reason I didn't do it was because I was still on Active Duty and there was no way I'd be able to commit us to that kind of thing. Now he's too old and sore. He would have been fantastic at it. I have asked his blessing to let his successor be that SAR partner for me....I'm not sure he's thrilled with it. Probably a good thing I don't actually have a puppy to train.

It's a tough day. I've been absolutely heart broken and have shed tears for those in Burma...or Myanmar, or whatever the place is called now. I just can't understand why it's taken so long to allow others to bring help, nor can I understand why the government is hoarding the supplies to "distribute them ourselves." Part of being spoiled rotten in a free Republic, I guess. But then to see the tornado damage my own nation's mid- and Southeastern-sections, fires tearing through homes in the West and Florida, flooding in my favorite metro area of D.C., and China's earthquake terror & death....wow. It just bears down on my heart like a ton of bricks.

The earthquake damage and scores of people still trapped are why I started with the entry of SAR canine teams. There are some disasters that dogs can provide such great help that they're necessary. Yet here I sit, with my now older, sore, but eternally faithful pup, and I can only have my heart break into millions of pieces for these poor, poor people. Maybe in a few years, when I graduate and achieve my goal of being a trauma surgery nurse I can put that training to good use with a canine partner. Just maybe.....

1 comment:

Jenn said...

You have such a great heart.