Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Day at the Zoo...

I already mentioned that I took Luke to the Denver Zoo on Tuesday. We went to meet a childhood friend of mine. She moved to Utah when I was 16, she was 14. We met because her family moved her horse to the barn I was riding at, and we just hit it off from the start. She moved to Tuscon before I left home, but we kept in touch.

As fate would have it, the first part of my schooling after BMT was in Sierra Vista, Arizona...a town on the Mexico border about an hour or so South of Tuscon. I got to see my dear friend again! We managed to keep in touch when my time there was done and I moved on to Florida for part 2 of school, then on to Hawaii to start my career. It was sometime around my wedding in 1998 that we lost touch.
This past winter I received an email from Chelsea. She was now living in Casper, Wyoming. We were able to catch up on things and are nearly inseparable once again....at least in terms of emails. Her husband, Mark, had a business meeting in Denver and I jumped at the chance to spend the day with her family. We had a fantastic time and I think Luke has a new girlfriend in Olivia!



Definitely a zoo we need to visit again a few times. We go to the Pueblo Zoo all the time, we go to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (Colorado Springs) fairly often, but this was our first trip to the Denver Zoo. So many things to see and do in that city, so little time to do it in....
Yesterday Jeff and Luke decided to try to fly a kite. Yes, it's an F-16...I couldn't resist finding one after seeing a neighbor's last summer. It went okay...sort of. It's been so darned windy that the kite would get up fine, but then it was pushed down by the wind and would demonstrate why we call the real planes "lawn darts." Aside from that, it was pretty cool, so they were basically ready to come back inside.
I guess he played pretty hard because later in the day he decided he was done. This is what we found on our (still unmade) bed:
Amazingly, he actually went to bed by 10pm (late, but pretty good for a this boy after a huge nap) and slept until almost 9am this morning! I think he's much more than ready to spend the day outside, so we're going to close here and head to see the ponies.......

2 comments:

Jenn said...

The Denver Zoo looks so much better then Hogel Zoo. They don't even have a polar bear anymore.

I just love those spontanous naps!! I hope you were able to nap too.

Claudia said...

The zoo looks like great fun, and I love the kite flying. There is nothing as cute as a little one asleep in a big bed. Theo likes to pretend to sleep in our bed, but it lasts about 14 nanoseconds before he pops up with a smile on his face!