Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tornadoes....danged tornadoes

This is going to be short, but I'll add more later.

About an hour ago the town of Windsor was hit by what is currently thought to be an F4 tornado. A twister that was over a mile wide at times. One person has been reported dead, a LOT of damage, and the weather threat is not over for the day. Greeley was also affected, but not nearly as heavily. A second tornado touched down just outside of Longmont, but there's not any reports of damage from that one.

We've lived here 2 1/2 years now. This will be our third summer. Luke was 5 weeks old when we experienced the first tornado here. I was in the bedroom nursing him (we had a houseful and I was craving privacy, anyway) when the typical thunderstorm was moving in. My husband and father-in-law were in the attic and I was hollering for them to get down because of the lightning. Imagine my surprise and a bit of fear when I saw the funnel cloud go across my window!! Poor Luke, I darted out of that room with him so fast! We watched the tornado make it's way East from the back porch, ready to make the run to the basement. That one was just tiny, didn't cause damage.

A few weeks later we had a more powerful one come through. That one we did hang out in the basement for. The hail and wind stripped the leaves off the trees and plants. There were limbs down all over the place. There were some homes (in a line) that had some minor roof damage, but everything was otherwise fine.

Last June my parents were visiting and went with Luke and I to get his 1-yr pictures. We were trapped in the mall because of a tornado. No damage on that one, either, but I never want to be in a building like that for a twister ever again!

There have been countless other funnels and rotating storms around here. We're pretty much always ready for it. It's still scary. I'll continue to take a tornado over an earthquake, though!

Unfortunately, my neighbors in the North part of the state haven't been so lucky this day. I'm waiting to hear from some people, despite knowing it's going to take some time because of the power outages and obvious immediate needs. My heart is just breaking and my stomach is sick. It is horrible to hear and see what's coming out of that area.

Oh, and now there's another twister in Laramie, Wyoming. Reports of Damage. It's going to be a long day.

But we are safe in the Southern part of Colorado. At least for now....

3 comments:

Claudia said...

I have to say, I am really tired of the tornadoes and wind already here in Texas. Have you heard about the StormRoom built by Dupont? It's made of Kevlar, and they can retrofit it into your house. I'm trying to talk Joshua into it, because those darn tornado sirens give me the creeps!!!

Unknown said...

Blackouts, Disasters, Hurricanes, Wind Storms. We’ve all seen the after-effects, entire communities without power. It’s reported that on average 3.5 million people lose their power in the US each week! We bought a generator from MainPowerConnect.com that ensures our family has the power needed when faced with these unexpected outages. With back-up power, our home and business now stays well lighted, secure with our HAVC systems working, keeping us cool. With our generator the sump pumps keep running protecting us against flooding and keeping our food cold and fresh.

Denise said...

Not sure who this parsons person is, but apparently he's not aware that when you have no house left, or it's uninhabitable, a generator isn't going to do much to help you. In this case, the generator would probably be a number of miles away. May I roll my eyes now?