Friday, May 2, 2008

Head Bumps....and another goodbye

Did I mention yesterday how my boy tends to like to scare me? Well, he did it again last night. I was changing the sheets on the bed while he was doing laps around the bed. Okay, so they were 3/4 laps because the head of the bed is, of course, against the wall. But laps, nonetheless. This is really nothing new. He's done it for a very long time, even back when he was crawling.

I'm still not sure how it happened, but he somehow tripped over himself. He fell down to his bum, but he went at an angle and was still close to the nightstand. BANG! There goes his head. I was already on my way to scoop him up because I saw it was going to happen, but I guess Momma doesn't have the superpowers to move at the speed of light. He looked a little shocked, but waited to put the lip out and start crying until I had my hands on him.

Through the tears I was able to see that he was okay. Not a bump on him. He also quickly calmed down and cuddled into me. It was when he decided to climb off my lap and head back to the bedroom that I saw he did, indeed, cut his head. Poor little man. But what a great little boy to sit completely still and let me clean the cut & hair around it, then put a little antiseptic on him. Seriously, he didn't even flinch!

We finished making the bed and I started getting my pj's on when Luke started acting really sleepy. Alarm bells. Big time alarm bells. I did put a rush on getting Luke ready for bed, but I was very concerned. He fell asleep about 2 minutes after he was dressed, conked out very, very hard for the night. I was sure he had given himself a concussion and I was wrong for letting him sleep.

Turns out he was just tired. He woke this morning with a big smile and has played hard all day. What a relief! I suspect he'll be more than ready for bed when the time comes. So our first "head injury" has not been too big a deal. But this IS Jeff's son....so who knows what's to come? (for those who aren't aware, my husband is somewhat famous for recovering from a severe skull fracture he suffered during nuke school to graduate as Honorman of his class).

Today has also seen the passing of a legendary horseman. Frank Whiteley Jr. was the trainer of many great racehorses (Ruffian, Forego, etc). He was a gruff man who never minced words, but loved his horses beyond anything.

Frank's name, and that of probably his most famous horse, the doomed filly Ruffian, might be familiar to those who aren't horse people. ABC made a movie about Ruffian last year. They did a great job of showing his gruff bluntness and loving nature. I'm sure there will be some sort of mention or memorial piece during the Kentucky Derby coverage tomorrow.

Frank was 93-years old and will be sorely missed by all in the horse community.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Oh, I hate the head bump! We suffered one last fall that ended in an emergency room visit (all was well, but Theo's head looked so terrible). Uugh, why do they have to lead with their heads?

Jenn said...

You SCARED me. I'm so glad he was just tired and nothing else was wrong. I'm so scared about that with any head trauma. As I was reading I was thinking about my Lukes fall onto a picture frame just weeks ago. I too knew something was going to happen but didn't have the speed to stop it. Also I'm so sorry to hear about Frank:(