Thursday, May 15, 2008

Yikes! Now THAT'S a Flip!!!

So, I was directed to the pages of a couple of UK papers today. I couldn't believe what I saw, and I can only imagine what it was like to see it in person. The saddle slipped back to the mare's flanks, causing it to act as a bucking strap (the same thing that makes rodeo broncs buck). She didn't like it, threw herself into the rail, fell down, and here's the rest:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/1955631/Horse-performs-dramatic-somersault-on-race-track-in-Germany.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=566411&in_page_id=1770

Amazing that she got up, shook herself off, and walked away fine. I imagine a few visits from the chiropractor will be in order! Her jockey is also fine, just in disbelief with everyone else.

HBO had a segment on their "Real Sports" show on Monday night. I've been waiting for it, despite my not being able to watch since we don't subscribe to those channels. I have enough contacts, however, that I've been able to see it. I give huge kudos to them for doing a fantastic job!

The segment was on a subject near and dear to my heart. The equine slaughter industry...more specifically, racing Thoroughbreds. It's such a big subject to me because I owned a wonderful Grade Appaloosa gelding that was literally purchased off the kill buyer's truck.

Paco was on his way to the slaughterhouse to be made into food for Europeans when he was saved. He was called Taco because of that rescue, but I HAD to break my rule and rename him after I bought him from his savior(I'm of the mind it's bad luck to rename your horses). I couldn't shake the thought of what almost happened to him when I visited the plant he would've been processed at. What made this tiny horse, who was only a half inch too big to be called a pony, so fantastic was his personality. I turned him out in the backyard after my mare beat the daylights out of him. He's the only horse I've ever owned who literally walked right into the house (I had stupidly left the door open to grab the ringing phone). He followed me right into my laundry room! I wish I had taken pictures, but I was so scared he'd fall through the floor (it was an 80-yr old house with the original wood floor) that I hurriedly shuttled him back outside and let my heart slow down. I would've trusted that horse with ANY baby who could barely hold themselves upright. I donated him to a kids camp as a trail pony last spring after soundness issues. He's pretty much in heaven now that he only has to walk up & down trails for about a half hour each day in the summer, and he got to stay in Texas. He's the kids favorite and the owner's second favorite. They have made it clear he'll stay there until he dies (lucky for me they're the sister and brother-in-law of a close friend here in Colorado, so I can definitely keep tabs on him!

Back to the HBO documentary segment. It was heart-wrenching for all involved since there was no legal way the horse documented could be saved. It would've been too questionable. But it was so beautifully put together and highlighted the backside scene at so many lower tracks. God bless the trainers out there like Nick & Kim Zito and Michael Matz who work their hardest to rehome/rejob ANY Thoroughbred they've ever trained! In fact, a horse who the Zito's trained is noted in the segment. "Little Cliff" was rescued at auction just a few weeks ago after the current trainer ignored the sticker on his papers and shipped Cliff off to slaughter after a single bad race. It shook the Zito's to the core.

It certainly isn't a pretty segment, but that's how they hoped to present it: as the ugly truth it is. Well explained, complete with video clips from the former U.S. slaughterhouses (now closed as it's currently illegal to slaughter horses here), and current clips from the active plants in Canada and Mexico. While it is difficult to watch, I'll include the Youtube link that someone so kindly made, as well as the written description from those involved in a following blog.

So, there's that. Not too fun to read about, but a subject I'll always fight on. I'm not totally against it, but it DOES need to be humane. Currently it is not. Not at all. My horses are just lucky enough to have an owner who will provide a quick & painless end when the time comes, and a permanent resting place. Oh, and for those who are wondering, Thoroughbreds are actually the third breed in slaughter numbers. Quarter Horses are far and above the number one breed (due to insane regulations, or lack thereof, in the AQHA breeding program....maybe permissions is a better word to use), Paint and Grade (unregistered) horses are a distant second. It's just one small reason I don't ever want to own a Quarter Horse. But that's beside the point. At least I can rest easy tonight knowing my beloved Paco is loving life in his Texas home....

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Those pictures are amazing. To think the horse just got up and was ok is crazy. As for the HBO special I had no idea. So glad Paco found you. Thanks for opening my eyes.