Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wow...what a weird day..

I've heard from everyone I know who lives in the tornado damaged areas. The stories are amazing!! It will be interesting to hear what the weather service says about all of this. What is not being reported on the news is that the Budweiser brewery (of interest because it's also a first-level training place for the Clydesdales...they always have 5 or 6 young Clydes there) suffered some damage. What I've heard is the Clydes were released to run down the road, which they did, but they came trotting back as soon as they felt it was safe. Nothing more than a few bumps & scrapes....and probably a little bit sore from galloping down pavement. All the brewery employees (which includes tour guides, barn staff, landscapers, and the actual brewery people) are safe and fine.

The Colorado State University farm, where the vet clinic and other agriculture departments are, was heavily damaged. I haven't heard of any injuries to the people, which is very good. I don't know about the animals. The farm is literally across I-25 from the brewery.

The majority of very heavy, as in homes ripped of their foundations, damage is in the town of Windsor. Parts of Fort Collins, Wellington, Greeley, Platteville, and Miliken are also seeing some damage. Only very minor stuff from the tornado that touched down near Boulder and Longmont. Thank goodness!

Here's the weird part of the day for me. My aunt called earlier this evening to share a story from my cousin. I had to ask if he was here! I think I asked her twice, actually. Nope, definitely in California. He was driving home in Riverside County (CA) when a tornado dropped and crossed the freeway right in front of him! Then came the hail. Then came the closing of the freeway due to semi's having been tossed around like toys. A train was also knocked over off the tracks. He's fine, just a little shocked. Here's that tornado (if you look carefully you can see it was two twisters. One is straight down, the other is obvious):


Here's the picture he took while driving. Looks like snow, doesn't it?


All I can think of is the movie "The Day After Tomorrow." Not the same, but when your aunt calls and tells you of tornadoes not far from L.A., it does make you think! Sleep well, everyone. Tomorrow is supposed to be fairly active again.....

No comments: